How to Get Rid of Japanese Beetles and Grubs in Your Lawn

First, it’s important to make the connection that the white grubs in your lawn will hatch into Japanese Beetles and if you have Japanese Beetles they will lay eggs in your lawn that turn into white grubs.

Japanese Beetles can severely damage your roses and other plants in your landscape because they feed on the leaves and can almost completely defoliate some plants.

The white grubs ruin your lawn!

They feed on the roots of the grass near the soil surface. The damage usually shows up when it’s hot and dry because without a good root system the grasses in your lawn will start dying.  Damaged areas in your lawn feel spongy when you walk on the grass because of the tunneling that’s taking place under the surface.  If the damage is extensive the grass can be pulled up like carpet because the roots have been chewed off.

Skunks, Crows, Grubs and other Critters dig up your lawn to get at the grubs.  In the fall when skunks are instinctively packing away the food to fatten up for the winter they can destroy a lawn in one night if it has a heavy grub infestation. Look for little holes in your flower beds.  That usually means that the birds have been digging for grubs.

During the summer months when the soil is warm the grubs are usually at a depth of 2″ or less.  As winter approaches they go deeper into the soil and become almost inactive.  As soon as spring arrives and the soil temperatures increase they move back toward the surface and start feeding on the roots of your lawn once again.

They eat away for another 4 to 6 weeks, then emerge from the soil as adult Japanese Beetles and start feeding on your landscape.  As they devour your landscape they start laying batches of eggs.  Usually 20 to 60 eggs total per female beetle. And the life cycle starts all over again.

You can lift areas of sod in your lawn where you suspect you might have white grub infestation and look for the grubs. They are white in color and range in size from 1/2″ to 1″ long.  If you have more that 6 grubs per square foot it’s time to think about a way to control them.

If you opt for a chemical control there are several products on the market and the best time to apply them is late August and early September.  The white grubs are much easier to control when they are smaller and closer to the surface of the soil.

Biological control of white Japanese Beetle grubs can be achieved by applying the insect parasitic nematode species Heterorhabditis bacteriophora.  You can purchase these nematodes under a variety of different trade names.

Another biological control is Milky Spore which is actually bacterium pacenibacillus popillae.  However, this is a long term approach and can take years for the spore to spread throughout your lawn.  It actually requires to ingest the spores and then as they die their carcass becomes part of the control to help spread the spores throughout your lawn.

Japanese Beetle Traps!  Do they work work?  Well . . . the jury is still out.  Most traps use both a sex lure that attracts male beetles and sweet smelling lure that attract both sexes.  Without a doubt these traps attract a lot of beetles, but some research indicates that they attract more beetles to the area of the trap than they actually trap. That means that plants in the path of the trap might suffer more damage.

If you use traps place them near the edge of the property and well away from plants that are damaged by Japanese Beetles.

Since there is some biological control that naturally takes place without your intervention it is recommend that you only consider chemical control when the infestation is severe because the chemicals disrupt the natural process of control.

I hope what I’ve given you here helps.  It is confusing.

Click Here for Your Free Copy

Comments

• Betty Jo Bishop says

I have used milky spore, but I skipped one year and I got them back. I was also using it during the Spring. I am going to use it in September now. Thank you Mike.

Betty Jo, as I understand it Milky Spore lasts a very long time so the more you apply over different areas you keep increasing the coverage area. I’d say just keep making those applications.

• Nelly says

Mr:Mike I have a question, my husband and I want to start growing and selling plants next summer. My question is: ebay offers seed for flowers in weird colors. taht i know we can sell the plants very well here in Tx. Can we buy thats seeds from another country??? i hope you can help us :) Thank you!!

Nelly, I really don’t know for sure, the person selling the seeds should know what he is or not allow to ship across the border. Many things you really don’t want to grow from seed. It can be slow and you won’t get plants that are true to the parent plant. Flowers are fine, many other things should be done by cuttings. http://freeplants.com/wanted.htm

• John T says

Hi guys. These critters are world wide and destroy my seedlings here in Australia. I am going to boil up some neem leaves and use that as a spray. The neem tree is unaffected to my knowledge by any bugs as nothing seems to like the taste of it. Neem tree is of tropical origin so will not grow in frosty areas. Just do a google search and you will find many other uses for it.
      Its a beautiful quick growing tree if your climate suits. I hope this works as I am sick of finding plants destroyed by them.
      cheers

• Bill says

I have purchased neem oil at garden supply stores, and found it to be excellent, and very effective. I highly agree with our friend from down under. BTW, when I was in the US Navy, i had the honor to meet sever of the men in Australian Navy. What a great bunch to go on liberty with.

• Kurt says

If you don’t mind the chemical ways Sevin dust and sprays are great. They are non-toxic to family animals and people. I’ve even used sevin dust on my dog to control fleas. I will warn you though, it will be toxic to bees and other pollinators.

• Anonymous says

But Sevin also kills butterflies,bees and other beneficial insects. I walk around my 1acre shrub border several times a day with my container of soapy water and drop those *****beetles in! Or if not in full swarm pick them off and smash them on my brick edged garden!

• Deb says

Just be careful with Neem, if you have ponds, bogs, or any water nearby that has fish in it; the stuff is highly toxic to aquatics!

1. Rita Luskin says

This year I thought I was smart and went for the chemical control…. It worked fine BUT, my neighbors did not take the same precaution as I did and their Japanese Beetles came onto my property and really made a mess of my plants… down to the fragile Rose bushes…..
    How can I protect my plants if my neighbors are not taking precautions?

2. Peter says

Japanese Beetles have hit southern Missouri for the first time this summer. They must travel slowly because my friends at the nearby Farmers Market tell me they were worse at their place last year.

For me, the beetles have been devastating. They have disallowed the production of a single Kentucky Wonder Pole bean! The bean vines are heavy and full and pulling themselves over on their frame but the white flowers are nipped in the bud by the beetles and I’ve had NO beans whatsoever! I saw a tiny bean but it has since disappeared.

I’ve sprayed Sevin on the bugs with only one day of benefit. I kept spraying but then read that Sevin harms so many beneficial insects and it said NOT TO use it on beans for this reason, so I stopped and attempted to hand harvest all the beetles I could. The best luck I’ve had is using Dawn dish soap mixed with garlic powder and sprayed from a bottle, and even this has only been so-so. I have been unable to stop the Japanese beetles this year and it’s been very discouraging. They’ve attacked my rhubarb plants as well and harmed them substantially. They even got into my lemon balm, something that has had NO insect problems in the past.

These bugs are a real challenge. They like to eat everything that grows in the Ozarks. Here, we have an abundance of wild grapes. The beetles are skeletonizing every one of them! I only have one grape bush but it has been devoured by the bugs. Plans for a vineyard have been scrapped.

I wish there was something you could spray on the things and they’d all die in five minutes. If I had such a product I’d use it like crazy. …Any ideas?

Whoever comes up with this product will get rich!

• Bill says

I have had success by spraying with Sevin in the early morning. When spraying in the PM the beetles just fly away, but in the early AM I can kill almost all of them. I use the sevin concentrate in a 3 gal. pressure sprayer. I hope this helps.

Please, Please don’t use Sevin! It kills bees, butterflies and any other “good” bug that happens to light on the plant. Mike is right, there are other ways. They love my knock out roses so I give them a sever pruning in late May – no flowers to attract Beatles but they come back fuller and flower in July!
        I’m almost afraid to say this now but so far I haven’t seen a single on e this year! Maybe they are moving farther north.

• Larry says

In the Old Black Cross Forest in SE Oklahoma on Lake Eufaula. The beetles aren’t as much a problem for me this year as my neighbor has brought in 25 chickens, at least 5 species, that he lets run. I grow my potatoes with a heavy layer of straw and the chickens love to root around in it. So far, the only damage I’ve encountered is inside the chicken wire screened area where I grew my corn, broccoli, cauliflower, and radish, built to keep the squirrels out. Tomatoes, strawberries, blackberries, grapes, garlic, onions, cilantro, basil, thyme, spinach, zucchini, cantaloupe, and watermelon all doing well, as are the Scabiosa, Coreopsis, Black Eyed Susan, Marigolds (5 varieties), Hydrangea in deep pink, white and blue, Bearded Iris, Forsythia, miniature and tree roses, Arborvitae, Gardenia, and Spider Wort. Had 4 color varieties of Daffodils this year that filled in the beds in abundance, as did an orange tall tiger lily like flower. Asparagus in the green house are at 8 feet now and will be next year first harvest, with seed starts growing like crazy.
          Hate to spoil it all, but I’m going to have to get after the moles. In their mad search for grubs they have turned my entire property into a sponge! Set traps in their tunnels, but seems they don’t go back to the same ones. In some places they’ve literally pushed plants out of the ground. I’ve got an order in for nematodes, and may augment that with milky spore as the nematodes will increase the spread of the spore to all of the surrounding areas.
          Mike’s tips and information has been a boon for me, and the envy of all the neighbors. The original 12 Scabiosa I bought now number over 150, the single Arborvitae is now 24, and the two Forsythia are now 52, thanks to Mike’s ‘rooted cuttings’ and propagation info. And to think I hated my grandmother because she always wanted me to help her in the garden when I was an adolescent.

• Deb says

I was told to get half a dozen guinea hen chicks and raise them; they can be taught to hang around your property (If you are IN TOWN you can’t have them usually) and they will eat everything bug. They are noisy; some people have gone to keeping them as intruder alarm (they say they work better than a chowchow dog). I would love to have some organic automatic bug control but I do live in town and don’t have enough land to get around the ordinance…they are supposed to be wicked on squash bugs.

3. Bill says

One of the best controls that I foound is guinea hens. I keep two hens and one rooster along with the young of the year. I let them roam on my 10 acres. They do not harm anything in the garden but are on patrol all day. First thru the vegetable garden and then thru the flower gardens. They are constantly looking up into the foilage and you can see them give a little jump and they have another Japanese Beetle. Then at night I give them a small amount of grain and in they go for the night. Next day same thing

4. Jeri says

MY neighbor says knock them off in a bucket with some water and a few drop of dish soap. I do this several times a day. They are mating here so they are a bit slower and I can get them. Once they mate they disappear in the soil to lay their eggs around August sometime in the
    midwest. I am in Michigan.

• David says

I knock them into a 4- or 5-quart icecream bucket, then scoop them out with my hands and drop them on the floor of my chicken coop. The chickens love them.

5. Robin Gravis says

Great article. My customers ask what to do with bugs often. I usually just leave them and watch for the predator to show up. Balance and variety of plants has been working out pretty well so far. I have heard about nematodes but have not found any as yet. Still have a couple eco-friendly garden centers to check out.
    Peace:)

• Steph says

I much prefer the natural way. If you have a balance, as you say, the rest takes care of itself. Using a chemical will eventually ruin the habitat for the beneficial, as well…and over time destroy the very reason you garden.

6. KathyL says

I hate to resort to insecticides, but I definitely lost the battle this year with them because I didn’t have enough time. Last year, I took a tall glass with a little water in it and just knocked the bugs in it. They cannot fly out, so I just stepped on them all at once. I caught several hundred that way, and I do see them in the dirt in the spring. It doesn’t seem that the birds will eat them, so they are basically just useless. I have a trailing grape vine that looks like a lace curtain.

• Karen says

I have been putting little tubs of beer out for slugs, and am also finding these reddish color bugs in the am.

7. DUFLAND says

If the small grubs are Japanese beetles what are the large grubs that can be about 3/8″ round and an inch long….look alot bigger than a Jap Beetle will ever be?

• Julie says

Did you find the larger grubs near Irises? They may be Iris borers as I had them and mistook them for large grubs. I removed the Irises and dug out the borers completely. Stirred in some granular grub control and watered it in really well. I let the hole set empty for awhile before replanting anything.

8. Susan Biskner says

Every day I bend the infested rose over a bowl of water to force the Japanese Beetles into the water. They are then helpless and die. Yes, this is like a grain of sand on the beach, but it is chemical free.

9. HARRY12345 says

when it rains the grubs come above the ground,spray it isopropyl alchol (available at local pharmacy ) the grubs explode and die,also clorax bleach does the same job but it is less effective and you cannot spray on the plant, but you can spray isopropyl alcohol on the plant..Egg shell repell grubs.
    Make your own insect and japenese bettle trap.Put a potted plant which the insect likes in a large tray of water.Add clorax bleach in the water.When the insects come to eat the plant they get killed in the clorax bleach water.
    Please do not buy asiatic lilys they attaract japanese bettles.Instead plant grass type lilys they do not attract insects.

10. Lowell says

For two years I tried the trap idea. The common Japanese beetle traps I tried didn’t catch a high percentage of those it attracted. When the bag became full it appeared I had accomplished a lot, but in reality not much compared to the ones that got away. And I suspect most of those didn’t leave my property, even though they may have been attracted from neighbors’ property.

This year I adopted my father’s old method, slightly modified. When a kid I was the designated Japanese beetle trapper. I picked them off the plant and deposited in a jar half-filled with kerosene. However this year I quickly switched from kerosene to water plus a squirt of dish detergent. That kills them almost as quickly. And doesn’t hurt my plants if splashed on the leaves. Next in the arsenal I added a squirt bottle with the same water/detergent. When sprayed, the beetles act like we do when we get soap in our eyes. They are stunned just long enough to allow gathering a group or individuals or pairs on separate leaves.

Without spray, I could grab a few, but in an instant they sent a message to the others. Their normal defense is to loosen their hold on the leaf, and let gravity take them away from danger. Most will become airborne 6″ to 24″ below the leaf. But some will drop to ground and burrow immediately. About five seconds after being sprayed, they will employ the gravity defense and fly, even with “soap in their eyes.” In five seconds it’s possible to collect a dozen.

They mark delicious leaves. So more and more are attracted to that leaf. If I don’t use the spray and instead position the jar at the lower end of leaf as I position hand above leaf, they will drop into jar. Their mark remains on leaf and others will be there when I make the rounds next hour.

Best to wear light colors. Jar is clear. Spray bottle is white. Hat is white. Dark scares them. I think they sense human breath, and connect that with their only natural enemy.

Rose bushes were a problem because of the briars and thick growth. So I covered with fine netting. How to deal with netting is not programmed into Japanese beetle DNA. So they clutch tightly to the netting and can be picked off without using spray.

They don’t like rain. So after a rain there are few on the plants. Their activity is temperature related. At cool 75 degrees they are slow and scattered. At hot 90 degrees they are very nervous and numerous.

In an area about 10′ x 100′ I collected 8 oz. per day starting June 9, 2010. A couple of weeks later I was encouraged when my normal collection dropped to 4 oz. However that new level continued until July 18. Now the new normal is about 2 oz. per day. Hourly collection probably isn’t necessary, but I employed that because I wanted to learn their patterns. At 7 AM there are always very few. Sometimes I wonder if they have spent the night on that leaf. Peak collection is around noon. Last collection is 6 PM.

I have a young orchard and I can reach most leaves, or slowly bend the branch down to jar and tap gently. But with further tree growth this collection method won’t work because the beetles prefer the highest leaves. I hope I have reduced the number that hatch next year. It is amazing that within one hour a group of six beetles will completely skeletonize a large leaf. Without spraying or collecting, I would have no plums, grapes, cherries, beans or hazelnuts. And I don’t want to spray. Long-term I may try some of the biological methods Mike mentioned.

• Janice Griffin says

I really appreciated your post. I concur with many of your observations; I noticed that they become alarmed when I am wearing dark clothing; they like higher spots; the time of day makes a difference. Gratifying to hear from someone who has same interest. I have worn out my converation welcome at home.

11. Debby says

Another method of control is to hand pick the beetles from the plants, dropping them into a little tub of soapy water. Granted, it’s slow, but it works. Early in the morning when it’s a little chilly, the beetles are sluggish and it’s easier to nab them. Also on a windy day the beetles are not so sensitive to your moving the flowers or leaves that they’re on. When you see the beetle’s legs rise up, you know that they’re about to let go of the plant and fall to the ground. If you hold your container underneath them, they fall right into the water. In my yard the beetles appear around July 4, just as the second bloom of roses arrives. But this year there were very few. Perhaps it was the heavy rains in March.

12. Rachel says

I have never had a heavy infestation with these, but I don’t care much for sod anyway, if I pull up anything and I’d see those things, I toss them to the birds, they learned to follow me when I was digging as they knew it meant dinner time! After a couple of years, the population went way down. I think the more pesticide anyone uses in a yard, the more an imbalance occurs in a whole area. My neighbors that sprayed alot, I had more pests in my yard because I did not. Neighbors that do not spray insecticide, I would tend to have less problems in my own yard. (I’ve moved alot) Oh I also would toss them onto hot cement, where they couldn’t reach the ground, that seemed to help also, usually, some critter would get them, they rarely went to waste!! My two cents! :)

13. cookieorlin@yahoo.com says

if you have the names of the chemical to get rid of japanese beetles i would like to have them please thank you very much

14. Paula Gallalee says

I go to the pool store and buy a large bag of Diatomaceous Earth for a total cost of $22. Spread that on your lawn (but use a mask, you don’t want to inhale it) on a non-windy day, and you will rid your yard of grubs, beetles, fleas, ticks & more. Plus, I usually will have enough for 2 more applications. Start around the walls of the house first, then work your way out to the edge of your lawn,

• Art says

Saw your idea on Using Diatomacecous Earth to rid the yard of grubs, beetles etc . Do you know why it works, any precautions. Sounds like a great idea

• Kathy says

Diatomaceous Earth is a natural product that consists of fossilized diatoms which are tiny sea creatures. Their shells have very sharp edges and the DE works by lacerating the grubs. Once lacerated, the grubs dehydrate and die. Although the DE seems sharp and dangerous to tiny insects and grubs, when we handle Diatomaceous Earth it feels more like talcum powder. It is also used in swimming pool filters. DE is not toxic to humans or pets. Matter of fact, it is sometimes used to treat fleas on pets. The only precaution when using DE is to wear a dust mask just as you would when applying any other sort of dust. You don’t want to breathe it in.

Kathy Anderson
        Mike’s Assistant

• linda says

Kathy
          I was reading your comments on how to get rid of grub worms. I live in Mississippi and I am having the worse time getting rids or moles When do you suggest putting Diatomaceous Earth out?
          Linda

• Mary says

I also used DE last year and it really helped with the the beetles. I also apply nematodes every year over different parts of my lawn (I have 3 acres). You can get the nematodes from Gardens Alive. This does not at all affect the earth worms. I have lots of earthworms and haven’t noticed any decrease.

• David says

Hi Paula
      I’m having GRUB problems and have heard that diatomaceous earth works well. You indicated that you have used it. Did it get rid of the grubs?
      How did you apply it. I have 2 acres of grass so I’m wondering what to use .
      David

David,

Do some research on Milky Spore for grubs. I’m not making any claims or promises, but some people swear by it. ?????

15. Dan Orr says

I know grubs are a major problem,but my main concern is the moles and gophers that tunnel my yard and garden searching for the grubs! Last fall I noticed my broccoli plants were disappearing from my raised beds.I saw a plant shaking one evening and watched. all of a sudden the whole plant disappeared underground ! The next evening I had my .357.revolver( I live in the country with no close neighbors) and when I saw another plant shaking, I shot at the roots, lol, I wound up having to replant my broccoli in pots, and then put them back in the ground to keep the gophers from eating them!

16. Martha/Atlanta, Ga. says

I do see grubs in my lawn when I pull crabgrass and my dog digs for them to eat. I hesitate to use chemicals to kill them because I also have some of the nicest earthworms in there too. They are fat and healthy. I’m wondering if there is a way to kill the grubs without harming the earthworms.

Thanks for the information. I did buy your book and even though I have read it all the way through, I always pick it up and read something before going to sleep. I’ve truly enjoyed propagating all of my life and now I know more about how it should be done.

Thanks so much. I certainly enjoy all of your articles and newsletters.

17. BeckyJo Middlebrooks says

That was some great info about the Japanesse beetles. But what exactly do they look like?? There are so many differant and strange looking bugs out there. In fact in last couple of years… my kids (they’re 18yrs. old-and still at home….argh..) have brought bugs to me that I have NEVER seen before ( I’m 47 and have lived the majority of those yrs. in the country/rural areas). So how about a picture of the bugs that you write about ? And please don’t ask me to buy another book. You definately write ALOT of useful information-but sometimes I feel like I’m paying a membership fee. (maybe that was a bit strong…but…)

18. carol neddermeyer says

what kind of chemical would I use for the Japanese beetles? Have any good ideas on how to get rid of ants on the side of a hill in our yard????

• Denise says

The way to get rid of ants is with good ol’ fashioned cornmeal. They take it back to the nest eat it and explode! do it during a no rain period.

19. Nancy Murphy says

Japanese beetles in my yard? I take a bucket of warm water w/ a few drops of dish soap and shake them into the bucket. Have to do it almost daily, but it’s saving my plants. My plants otherwise would never make it through the summer, these guys make mincemeat out of them. Thanks for the other tips, am checking out nematodes for late Aug buffet on the lawn :)

20. chuck Kriete says

Thanks for the most lucid and comprehensive comment on Japanese Beetles I have yet read. I have had a huge infestation in my grape yard for three years, and then last year, after I used three beetle traps, I had none – absolutely zero – and NO damage. I don’t know how to account for it because I have been using traps for three years, and had nearly concluded it was worse than sprays. But they disappeared, and were no place else on the property either (I have a 45 acre farm, only six acres in woods, the rest open fields in corn, soybeans, or other familiar crops.

21. Sue Sharkey says

Hi Mike I used Japanese Beetle traps, wel away from my rose tree. I had two bags full by the end of august two years ago. Also I notice that water in the kids pools attract them also.

22. Roxanne says

I think I will use the soapy approach again this year. This is the second year of fighting these beetles. My plants are starting to look pretty bad now! The soap (last yr) seemed to really help. But does it effect the grubs? Does any know? We just sprayed the soap mixture all over my gardens.

23. Alice says

Mike:Sprayed earlier this summer for ALL the bugs in my small yard; but, doesn’t really seem to be working ! And, I have trouble with moles…have ruined backyard, killed NUMEROUS plantings—–very frustrating, disgusting. The association here states: “it’s because of the sandy soil in the yard behind you. We’ve tried, but can’t get rid of them.” Thus, I quit planting very much at all/mostly potted plants now—which just isn’t the same !
    Thanks.

• Marlene says

Try a peice of Juicy Fruit Gum still in the foil. Make a slit in the foil and drop it in the mole hole. They chew the gum but can’t digest it and die. Juicy Fruit is the only kind that seems to work on moles.

• Norm says

Chewing Gum, no matter what kind, is not consumed by moles nor does it kill them if they do. This is a myth, someone’s idea of a joke.

• Denise says

The moles,voles,skunks-gophers,crows, and probaly the darned armidillo’s are all after the grubs,thats why they are there. Its natures way. I hand pick with soapy water twice a day-use an organic spray like Neem or such, and we apply Milky Spore. We’ve only seen very few grubs and we’re always using the shovel. I suspect alot of them are coming in from the fields and neighbors. I’ll also set some traps away from the precious plants. I’m slowly getting rid of the wild roses I planted years ago,as they attract them,and will transplant my Rugosa Roses to the other side of property. I always use more than just one method to keep their numbers down..

• Doug says

Denise,
        I live in a neighborhood that is infested by moles. I have tried everything from sonic chasers, moth balls, poison bait, and finally a proper Victor Mole Trap. I have caught or killed 52 moles and counting the trap works. My yard is tiny, but with my neighbors all believe the myths and commercial deceptions. There are a lot of myths and one is what moles eat. Their primary food source is earthworms, they may eat an occasional grub that happens to be in their feeder tunnels. Moles have a system that starts with a burrow, then primary tunnels that run into feeder tunnels that you see on the ground around 2″ down. Moles like moist soil with tree roots that they tunnel along. They can go as deep as 2′ or more down and can move rapidly across the ground (I know this because I have an outdoor cat that likes to bring me live presents). I have found success by installing either concrete or hardware cloth barriers in areas I wanted to prevent them from entering. you have to dig them down to the most compact soil, such as clay, and leave a border at the top that is 2″ above the ground. They can’t climb but once at the surface they can move over a buried barrier with no border. In residential neighborhoods moles become a problem, because there are no effective natural predators such as snakes.

24. jim says

All the treatments you mention will work well UNTIL you get all the beetles from YOUR NEIGHBORS properties, who don’t bother to do anything. These insects simply don’t read my KEEP OUT signs.

25. Neil says

Excellent bit of information on Grubs and Japanese Beetles. Thank you for the continued online education. Alerting people to the biological control is great. I have used the parasitic nematode many times and it does work, you just have to be patient.

26. Gail Huffstutler says

Dear Mike, I don’t seem to see many grubs in my yard, but I do have a question — what we do have is a heavy infestation of sand burrs. Will corn gluten applied in the winter, towards springtime really help? Our lawn is mostly weeds, aside from a small patch of what remains of our St.Augustine grass. The whole yard (1 acre) was St.Augustine when we moved onto the ranch, but being from MN where I never had to water grass, I did not realize that we would lose the grass here in TX. My husband is against wasting water on grass, but I love a pretty yard. What to do? I guess I could put up with the crab grass, etc., but the sand burrs get into my dog’s paws and of course we don’t dare walk barefooted!

Gail, I’m not sure what the answer is. Watering a lawn that large would be very expensive if you have city water or a heavy load on a well. It takes thousands of gallons of water to keep a lawn healthy in hot dry areas.

• Chris says

Gail. where in Texas do you live? I have lived in Texas almost all my life and the difference between my yard and my neighbors is like the border between Haiti and the Dominican Republic and I have a St. Augustine yard. But, some places it is just impractical to grow a St. Augustine yard. I water only when necessary. I can point you toward some good resources and helpful people, like your county Ag Extension agent. One thing to do would be to overseed with Bermuda grass, Bermuda likes hot, dry summers. St Augustine, if incorrectly managed, can be very thirsty.

As we all know, it’s a big state and has many different types of soils. One thing to NOT do is cut your lawn in the winter. That prevents your grass from developing a deeper root structure which means you have to water more frequently.

27. Purple Parasols says

The big joke is: If you don’t like a neighbor, give HIM the Beetle traps. They go to his lawn and Scape. They make a great gift for your nasty neighbor. Ha Ha !!

28. Joyce says

A few years ago when we lived in Mass. our entire lawn (and half the town’s lawns) were destroyed by grubs. We purchased nematodes from Gardens Alive in Lawrenceburg, IN and used them on our lawn. End of problem. The nematodes come in a flat sponge and you squeeze them out in water and spread them with a hose sprayer attachment.

29. David says

Last year and this year, when I noticed the Japanese Beetles on my purple leaf plum and my crab apple, and my royal empress tree, I sprayed the leaves with Sevin and it does discourage the beetles. They go away and don’t come back unless you get a heavy rain that washes the Sevin off. So you may have to spray again. But they only come out of the ground to chew leaves for a few weeks each summer so you don’t have to spray very many times.

Then I have also applied mikly spore to the ground after they disappear. But that only kills the ones in my lawn, it doesn’t kill the ones in my neighbors’ lawns.

30. Helen says

I so not have problems with Grubs or Beetles at this time but the Earwigs are terrible! they love dark damp places and eat the leaves of my plants and come out at night. What do I do?

31. Crystal Kauer says

The Japanse Beetles just arrived in my garden. Knew they were coming as many in the area had them. I use the soapy water. Having over 300 roses, I spend a lot of time collecting these bugs.

I have ordered some Milky Spore, but there is word going around that it is not very effective in Zones 4 and 5. In Michigan we are in the middle of these zones.

Also, when reading about the parasitic namatodes species, it would seem difficult in Michigan due to the normal ground temperatures. But I might try it this fall.

Has anyone in mid Michigan sucessfully used the milky spore or nematode methods?

• Bonnie says

I used milky spore and I live in zone 5, Oswego, NY. It is a very good use of nature. I had a bad invasion of beetles about 5 years ago and that year I used milkly spore and hand killed many thousands. My infestation get smaller and smaller each and every year since application. The directions said to apply at a particular time and temperture, which I did twice and it keeps control of the grubs and spreads every year. This year I will put an application on a different part of my lawn. I saw the grubs when I was digging and then the skunks have drilled in to get them,too. Skunks are a good indicator of where they are, and then I proceed accordingly. I have a large yard and total application would have been too expensive. Hope that helps.

32. Marcia says

I have had these critters for several years now. Even though I treat the ground for grubs, they still come by the thousands for my Porcelain Vine. I have used Sevin for the last two years and what I get is several inches of rotting insects that smell for weeks! I tried sprinkling lime on the bodies without any real success. Any ideas?
    Thanks.

Marcia, about all I can suggest is try using traps away from the plants you are trying to protect. Remember that if you treat for grubs, early to mid August is usually a good time, the grubs are the easiest to control in that stage.

33. Miss B says

We have always had Japanese beetle problems, but the past two years have been drastically different. I’m not sure why, but the grub population has all but vanished and we rarely see anymore beetles. I don’t know what happened, but am very thankful they are gone.

34. oscarp2u says

I love your stories and enjoy your videos very much I am not able to do as much as some but able to do enough to make your site a favorite of mine. Thanks for all the information and keep up the good work . THANK YOU MIKE!

35. heather jones says

we were devasted by the japenese beetles. our apple orchard, and grapevines were completely chewed up. we are trying to do all organic so we did some researching and found out that the neem oil and cinnamite both work. my husband alternates spraying every week. plus we have the traps. all 3 combined seems to be working. all our apple trees are coming back and so are the grapes. neem oil and cinnamite also works for spidermites on your tomato plants.

36. James Johnstone says

Thanks Mike you are the answer to many peoples problems in Lawn care asone example,mine at the moment is the japanese beetles and grubs in my lawn.What do you know about Gardeners Supply I would welcome any thing you can tell me. Keep up the good work.
    Yours Aye Jim .

Jim, I really don’t know anything about them, but good luck with the Japanese Beetles, you just have to pick the treatment option that is correct for you.

37. Joyce Bozeman says

Mike, I can remember my Grandmother half filling a # 2 washtub with water and hanging a light over it all night. In the morning she would turn out the chickens and then turn the tub over. The chickens sure had a big breakfast. Also we would tie a string around the neck of the beatle and take it for a flying walk.
    My fish love the larva .We even had a dog that would dig them up and eat them.
    Thanks for the tip on using a clear plastic tub over the plant cuttings as I try rooting them. Joyce, from hurricane Rita and Ike area.

38. Doug says

I laid Grubex down in late June or early July, and I believe that was too late — I’ve got Jap Beetles all over my roses and Basil plants. It’s a real pain to control them now — using a spray that works well, but have to reapply it after it rains.

Has anyone used Grubex with any success? If you have had good luck with it, when did you apply it?

39. janet says

hi mike thanks for all of your info but i gotta tell you that this one really works just put the beetles in cool water no soapand feed your neighbors fish by hand they love the beetles my brotherinlaw does this everyday the fish loves them and they (beetles) dont bite either i now collect them and take to ponds to feed fish its great thanks again for all of your articles!

40. Kathleen says

Hello,i live in Northern Canada and have a Virginia Creeper and it’s the middle of summer and the white flies are just eat it up,the leaves are turning brown in spot’s,does ANYBODY know how to get rid of the flies,HELP.

41. BPMcWilliams says

My dad always kept Purple Martin houses by the garden. The martins did a good job of keeping the Japanese beetles under control.

yes,I have all of the above issues with my landscaping. I have tried all of the brand name chemical products and they have done nothing to stop the beetles. what now!
    I like the comment on the purple martin house I must try that.

43. charlotte says

how can I tell the difference of armodillas or gophers in my flower beds. Each morning I must rake the mulch back in the beds and it looks like something is turning up the whole bed/

44. Alyson P says

I used the bags for years with gross results. Then I bought the milky spore powder. unfortunately for my one acre lot it cost over $30, it is hard to find but look on the top shelves of home depot or Lowes. I read that it takes 6 treatments (three a year for two consecutive years. I think i did 4 total. And for the last two years I actually have flowers on my Crepe Myrtles. I encourage everyone to do Milky spore it works. I just wish I convince my neighbors to use it. Then i would not have occasional visitors.

45. Marvin Miller says

The entire city of Ottawa Ontario is suffering from this tree disease which gives the leaves brown spots. Most of the crab apple trees in the East end of the city are diseased by what looks like the same affliction. I read that a sulfur-based chemical can help, but that the main problem is that a certain part of the leaves compost themselves or get transferred by compost that isn’t hot enough and the spores just keep infecting the trees year after year.

Is there anything we can do?

Sounds like it may be cedar apple rust, which would explain the affliction on the crab apples. New York State has similar problems. Check out Cornell Univ’s site for pics and controls.
      Hope this helps.

46. Helen says

My jury is in on the Japanese beetles…….stop using the traps! I had hundreds/thousands of the beetles. They kept coming and coming. So……I decided to discontinue the traps the next year and see what happened. Nothing compared to the trap years. I also threw sevin dust on my crepe myrtle bush one evening and the next morning I had hundreds of dead beetles.

I also “hand harvest” the beetles. Really easy to do…they are rather “dumb” and busy eating and breeding. lol I have only had a handful so far this year.

Now if you don’t like your neighbors much, you can offer to install traps on THEIR property for them at no cost to them. another lol

You can also pay your children or someone else’s children a penney a beetle. Believe me you could go broke!

47. Harvey says

I have a gopher problem and everytime I start a garden they eat up my new vegtable plants. Does anyone have a sure way to getting rid of gophers other than using the traps and the pellets that are sold in stores?

48. George says

So according to your August 3rd criteria my lawn is dead! All 10,000 sq.ft
    50% weed 40% broad leaf grass 10% bare patches!

Now what do I do?

What is your take on mulching mowers?
    Do they just spread the weeds?

George

49. Darice Heist says

Dear Mike,

HELP ! ! I trimmed a low hanging branch from my Acer Laceleaf Japanese Maple and first a branch shot up from the top… I eventually cut it too and now my beautiful burgandy maple is Green !

How do I get my Japanese Laceleaf back to beautiful burgandy?

I anxiously await your reply.
    Darice

50. Lori says

For the past few weeks we noticed that the yard was turning bronw in some areas. Now it has gotten out of control. Seems like over night we lost the entire front yard. We fertalized and watered. Yesterday we raked and found that we have grubs (japanese beetle grub). This is in a big part of the yard. We put the grub killer down and watered. Now do we need to peel up ALL the old grass/turf and pick out all the grubs or can we just rake up as much as possible before we can reseed. There are a few green patches in between, but more dead than not. We would like to reseed and get our lawn started for next year. This is very disturbing. How can we bring our lawn back. By the way, we live in the Northern tip of ILL.

51. Colorado says

After reading all of this information with the problems of the Japanese beetles I am miffed at what they truly look like and I am glad for the cold weather here that seems to kill off most infestations. I do have trouble every year with a tiny horned beetle that infests my hollyhocks and sucks the juice out of all the blooms – for those I have to spray every couple of weeks.

I do have woodpeckers that drill holes mostly around the edge of the lawn but I always felt they were benificial in areating the lawn. I do get some large grub worms sparsely located in my garden and I first mistook these for the dreaded Japanese beetle but felt bad after killing a few because they may be large bumble bees…I’m still not sure but I don’t kill them any more.

Happy Holidays!

• Becky says

The grubs you have in CO are June-beetle larvae – kissing-cousins to the Japanese beetles – their grubs are identical. (Bumblebees do not make grubs! You can kill all the grubs you want to – they are not larvae of any beneficial insect!) June beetles are brown, shaped similarly but a little bit more rounded, like a loaf of bread. They buzz around lights at night and make terrible splats on windshields as you drive around. I lived in CO for 32 years and saw loads of them, although at high altitude (9,000 ft where I was) they’re not nearly as harmful as Japanese beetles. Now I’m in upstate NY, in Japanese beetle territory, so I’ll have to use something to get them. I brought a 50-lb bag of food-grade DE (diatomaceous earth) from CO, so I’ll spread that on the lawn to get the grubs. As someone said above, the DE acts like microscopic razor-blades when bugs come in contact with it, and if they eat it. Either way, it lacerates them inside and out, then absorbs their body fluids so they dry out and die.

DE DOES NOT HARM EARTHWORMS!!! Their structure is totally different and DE passes harmlessly through their system. In fact, I was told by my supplier (the wholesaler for the entire region) that earthworm growers love to use DE in their worm beds to kill other bugs and pests that go after the worms or live in their bedding.

DE does not harm mammals, fish, birds, reptiles or amphibians – just insects. Add it to your chickens’ dusting spots – it kills mites and lice on them, and their egg production will go way up (my veterinarian reported that!). Got a stinky damp spot in the lawn or house? Dust it heavily with DE and the odor will go away. Dust it on carpet to cut down animal odor and kill fleas. Added to the diet of animals, it reduces the number of flies and the odor of the manure! Dust it on ant-hills, even fire ants, and they will carry it into the nest on their bodies, ingest it while they clean themselves, and die – the rest inside will get a dose of it and die, too.

I take about 2 Tbsp. of DE every day as a dietary supplement (it contains silica and 14 trace minerals), and give it to my five small dogs – they do not have any intestinal worms, and so far do not have fleas or ticks, but the season for those is just starting – I will dust the dogs with DE then.

Check out this website for lots of helpful DE info: http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html. Buy the largest quantity of DE you can get at one time – the bulk price is far more economical than for a 12-oz container! I bought mine in a 50-lb sack, in Silver Cliff, CO in 2010. It is completely non-toxic (unless you inhale the dust – it can cause irritation to some people), and the food-grade is exactly that – edible. DO NOT INGEST POOL-GRADE DE – IT IS NOT EDIBLE!!! The food-grade DE is extremely hydrophilic – it sucks up moisture – so keep it in a water-proof container!

52. Liz Ronky says

I hardly noticed any Japanese Bettles this year in the SW PA area. I thought maybe it was because we had such a dry season. I used bettle traps and barely got any bettles in the trps this year. I have a greyhound who has free run of my yard so I do not want to use any chemicals.

Thanks for the info. I did not know that the grubs became bettles. I thought the grubs were adults and ate plants.

53. MichelletheGardener says

I had Japanese Beetles all over my roses this year. Of course, I hand-picked them but along with the adult bettles I picked more grubs (or what I thought were grubs) off of the leaves of the roses. These little catapillars (that’s what they looked like) were green w/yellow-orange heads w/black dots yet the real small ones didn’t have black dots on them yet. I really thought that they were JB babies! Those were worse and harder to catch and see than the beetles were. What are those horrid things if the Japanese Beetle larve are in my lawn eating roots rather than the leaves of my roses? I planted my roses on a berm I had just built (early Spring) approximately 3 feet from any lawn. I live in southwestern Michigan.

like the idea of letting the neighbors hang up the beetle bags. One year I did this and had over 20 bags of beetles and still had them the next year. Not only do they stink when you are waiting for the next trash pick up the neighbors don’t have any beetles because you have them all in your yard. I don’t see so many bags hanging in the neighbor hood. Darn. My friend told me that using the Brand Name of BAYER in a blue bottle insecticide worked for the roses and kept the beetles off. She said it works systemically and also topically. This is not safe on vegetables that are for human consuption.
    I also have problems with the colorado potatoe beetle and the earwigs. The earwigs hide in the horseradish leaves, spinach, lettuce and the clusters of grapes. I have to stem the grapes out doors because one cluster of grapes can have 15 or more beetles inside. (Don’t want to make any earwig wine, tee hee.) Also cannot spray many things on the grapes found out the hard way and it damaged alot of the crop.
    The potatoe beetle keeps finding my potatoes. I have several gardens and for about 3 years they weren’t a problem but this year I found them at the new garden.

55. Joan Simmons says

What I have done may seem strange, but each year I go out with a tin coffee can filled with water and beer or water and salt and if you are retired like me than this may be fun. I go around the perimiter of my yard and when I see those dreaded beetles I grab them between the cap of the coffee can and the can itself . Each day the beetles become less and less. It seems that when I did it last year there were less of them this year, I am going to continue to do this. We also did use this year grub killer on our lawn.

Happy New Year

56. Linda says

I use the catch method. I just take a peanut butter jar with a lid and put it under the plant. I catch them as they drop into the jar. I put the lid on and give it a shake . I think I will try the dishsoap and water so I will not have to shake it. I have noticed a significant decrease in their presence, both underground and above. I agree that they are more active midday, starting mid June and I usually have about 3 weeks where I spend about an hour a day picking them right off my raspberry bushes. I have done that for about 3 years and have noticed that they are much easier to control this way. Before this, I tried milky spore, which did not work, then I had tried the traps, which really do not work. ( I had huge amounts in the trap, but my yard was not better off. I guess I was getting them from the entire neighborhood)
    Yes the best method for me is the picking method. It sounds crazy and like it would not work, but it really works. Picking them reduces the population on my property. It definitely disrupts the cycle, as I have fewer every year. I probably will never have none, but it is much better than before.

57. Pat from TX says

I have used nematodes now for 5 years with great success. However, I was lazy last year and did not apply after purchasing them. Dumb I know. The grubs were worse meaning that I had a few in my st. augustine grass. So I have concluded that nematodes do indeed work. I apply them in March after last frost for sure. I purchase them at most nurseries. Good luck.

58. Emily says

A few years ago almost everyone in our city had major lawn loss due to grubs. I’m not sure what others did but it seems under control by now. Maybe our cold Canadian winter helps. My understanding of these grubs is that they prefer dry habitat, and come to the surface when its wet. So I bit the bullet and decided the most environmentally friendly, and financially economical way to deal with them was to SOAK my lawn on a hot day. Well, soak it, I did, and grubs came to the surface. I picked as many as I could, threw them into the bird bath water and watched. Birds came flocking to the bath, ate the grubs, took a bath and went searching for more. Same treatment a few more times that summer, and I’ve seen nary a grub since then. It seems an easy solution. no pun intended.

59. Keith in TX says

I have been told that milky spore does not work in Texas.
    The grubs bother our Texas lawn grasses but do not seem to bother Texas Tuff native plant leaves or flowers (maybe the roots though). We are trying nematodes this year.

60. Patricia del Valle says

Great article as always. I’d like to post it on my rose website with your permission if you like + a link. Just the way it is would be fine. I’ll add it as a second page to Rose Care. I’ll wait to hear from you before I do.

This past year I wasn’t able to keep up with the Japanese beetles either–and the weather didn’t help. Like Peter, I live in Missouri and had the same experience–it’s a wonder I have anything left in my yard.

I had to resort to Bayer’s chemical spray–reapplying after each rain, which was almost every other day. The soap and water spray or dunking was ineffective for me because there were so many and they’d fly away. But other years, like with Susan, I could pick them off and put them in the soapy water.

I’m still working on controlling the grub stage of the Japanese beetles in my lawn. I moved here in Nov. ’07.

I’d like to add Lowell’s suggestion of using netting on the rosebushes–on my website too–but I need him to give me a last name or website, so I can credit him as well. Thanks.

My readers would appreciate it.

Thanks Mike for all your useful information throughout 2010–and for the suggestions and experience of the folks on this forum. Good and bad news makes us wiser in keeping our gardens.

Patricia

PS I had a friend in the military who raised beautiful roses. He gave up trying to go organic (as I’m trying to do to save the bees), With so many different infestations and changes in weather,. he used Sevin on his roses, faithfully, with great results.

Patricia, you have my permission to use the article on your webiste as long as link back to http://freeplants.com. I had to remove the link from your post because if we allow links here, as you can guess, this turns into a great big spam fest. If you’d like a return link send me an article we can use and I’ll post it here. mike@mikefromperry.com

61. FromMarcus says

How can I control the moles that are causing my lawn to look like a moonscape? I believe they are feeding on the grubs but don’t know for sure…..any help would be appreciated…thanx

Marcus, at this point I’d wait for the growing season when the soil is warm. Cut the sod with a spade and pull back a triangle and look for grubs under the sod. Do this in several areas of your yard. One or two grubs isn’t a big concern but a lot of grubs in a small area is a problem. Not just the moles, but the grubs are eating the roots of your grass.

62. Virgil says

Mike are there predators for the Japanese Beetle and the grub that are effective and not going to cause other problems?

63. Hardyman47 says

The most effective method I’ve found for dealing with Japanese beetles is to just fill white (only pure white works very well) 5 gal plastic buckets about half full of water, add a little soap and set them around the perimeter of your garden. They are strongly attracted to white and will fly in and drown. No work solution!!!

64. JIM BORUCKI says

HI ! ILIVE IN UPSTATE N.Y. I START OFF WITH AN ALL SEASONS DORMENT OIL ISPRAY THE ALL THE FLOWER BEDS , LAWN &TREES THEN IN LATE APRIL I USE MALATHION50% ON EVERYTHING .. FROM MEMORIAL DAY ON I USE NEEM OIL WORKS WELL…..

65. Crystal says

Think I have found the answer to Japanese Beetles. We live out in a rural area – not many close neighbors.
    Since a few years ago, when we noticed we had dry patches in our lawns due to grubs, my husband has been treating the lawns every Spring with Bayer Grub Control containing Merit. It had increased so much in price that last year he chose a cheaper grub control without Merit. As a result last year was the first time I had seen a Japanese Beetle in my rose beds.
    We believe that the Merit controlled them. We have just purchased some of the expensive Bayer Grub Control with Merit, claiming the kill Japanese Bettle grubs to put down this Spring. Before last year, many people in our area complained of Japanses Beetles, but we had none.

I had japenese beetles really bad, they love my yard because i have climbing vines and would strip the leaves..until I got smart, use this stuff for japenese beetles called Seven, I know the time of the year they hit Indiana which is around the first of July so I spray all my vines and flowers ahead of time and they no longer come around and attack my yard, u gotta be smarter then the beetles I guess….

67. john fishef says

I have a yard that is mulch and no grass, but I am sure that I have grubs and I know that I have Jap Beetles. So do I do anything any differently with mulch versus grass and PLEASE give some specific brand names of products to put on the lawn or in my case the mulch.

to control ants and almost all crawling insects I use a product called
    ” temador ” . this is used by terminex and can be bought online . it’s
    expensive but it absolutely works .

69. Pat from TX says

I am really surprised that more gardeners don’t use nematodes for control of grubs. I have used them for several years now and have had great success with that method.

My problem is with the moles. tryed running over them repeatedly with lawnmower. sprays added to water. Do the spikes with sound waves work?
    will try anything. like to keep my earth worms.

71. Carol says

My brother had a fun way to catch Japanese Beetles. There was a stream near the edge of his yard, and he hung a trap in a tree overhanging the stream, but he left the bottom of the bag open and the beetles fell into the water. Minnows in the water had a ball catching the beetles. The kids had fun watching the fish feeding frenzy.

• Val says

LOVE this idea!!! I hand picked them this summer. I was a big skittish at first. Panicked since one was on my arm and dropped the jug of soap and water in the grass. Got the car and ran over the area!!!
      I’m a bit braver but still wear gloves. Hand picking for me since I will not use chemicals.

Got this tip mix 1cup sugar, one cup oatmeal, one cup dry SEVEN.
    Water area, put a 1/4 cup of mixture on top of soil, cover a rock then with broken flower pot. Check several times a day and remove hundreds of grubs, all sizes. I discard the soil where I put the bate. Beats digging them out as I plant.
    How or why this works…??? the grubs seem to be ill or something and that’s ok with me too!

73. jennifer says

Mike, we had a f4tornado in April. My entire yard was well, destroyed. My garden sucked away along with all but 2 trees. We found an infestation of grubs & several worms that I do not recognize. What would you suggest I do at this point to start over. moles are burrowing my yard away. Any help is tremendously appreciated!

74. Dolly Lowe says

Has anyone tried to use beer any old beer in a low dish like a pie bake pan. The grubs seam to like it. they crawl in and drown. no chemicals. no grubs. I have seen it done at night after it cools in summer. Good Luck

75. Daelon says

Hello; I get rid of japanese beetles by tiping them into boiling water.it works very well.I refuse to use any chemicals whatsoever.They’re natural remedies,all You have to do is find them.Guinea hens are another.someone poisened Mine.To get rid of ants of any kind,use AMDRO,comes in a red plastic bottle,made from egg yolk,they carry it to the nest & it kills the whole nest.I would only use it for Fire ants as they can be life threatning,truely.later all

76. Janet Lefever says

Hi Mike ,just want to say thankyou for all the good information you pass my way i use it alot .My mom picks her beetles off her flowers puts them in water therell last 24hrs in the water then takes them to my sisters house and my brotherinlaw feeds them to his fish they love them its like steak for them he feeds the fish by hand the beetles

77. Missy says

Dear, Mike.
    My family and I had our back yard done recently and have bugs in our grass.}:-(
    How can we get ride of them??? There really anoying!.!.
    ~Missy :(

78. John Nolan says

My wife was throwing out a worn blender so I took it for garden use. I would capture Tomato horn worms or Japanese beatles add a small amount of water and pulse the blades a few times wait a few seconds the grind then up. I would strain mixture and put it in a sprayer and spray on tomato plants or on the lawn. The pulses cause insects to release a smell warning others of their species to stay away. It sounds bad but it worked for me.

79. Carol Sue Perkins says

Dear Mike, I may have mentioned it before but my youngest son had three pet chickens he raised from chicks. They not only kept my yard free of beetles but earwigs (which are a real pest in southeast Washington) ants, night crawlers, tomato worms and even small sprouting grass seeds. Those chickens not only kept the bugs down around my yard but the neighbor’s yard on each side. They also gave me eggs. Use only hens. Rosters do not make for friendly neighbors.
    Carol Sue Perkins

80. Heather says

How do I get rid of them there is so many spot on my lawn they look like gopher holes its tearing up my lawn this year is bad. What can I buy at the homedepot or osh that I can kill them?

Heather, if you have a full service garden center in your town go chat with them. They’ll show you the products that they have and hopefully help you with the ideal timing for your zone. In other words, the ideal time to apply the treatment.

81. Cynthia says

Mr. Mike,

My son and I went to work on cleaning out our “garden” that now looks like a regular part of the yard.. So pulling all of the grass and weeds out and have come across MANY of these yucky looking worms… Will I be able to rid that area of so many worms and start a new garden AND would that mean that my whole yard is like that as well? Also, I was planning on using my dirt pile that I made from pulling all of the weeds and grass for composting.. I tried to throw grubs away in that pile, too.. Not a good idea for compost now is it?

Cynthia,

If the worms that you describe are earth worms, you do not want to rid the garden of them. They are good for the soil keeping it loose, aerated, and fertilized. You probably don’t want to think of that way, but it’s true. Lots of worms in your soil a sign of good soil. The grubs in the compost? I wouldn’t be concerned. Grubs are a temporary thing, they don’t remain as grubs forever.

Wow, Great article!

One thing i would like to add is that if you have Japanese beetles in your garden or lawn, you also have white grubs. The key to getting rid of the Japanese Beatles is to get rid of the white grubs. Furthermore there are many types of white grabs that are almost indistinguishable. So if you would like solutions to kill white grubs and thus Japanese beetles take a look at our lawnopedia which helps identify lawn bugs with pictures, regional information, identification information, and control methods. http://www.scottslawnservice.com/sls/brands/SLS/lawnopedia/5000002/lawn-insects/4900008-20400008-s

Please don’t hesitate to ask questions or to contact me.

Thanks!

-Scotts Lawn Service Representative

83. Lore says

Mike – Love your blogs and ALL the comments.

Just a friendly reminder, please use chemicals (natural and otherwise) in the morning before the bees and butterflies arrive.

Thanks for helping our pollinators :)

84. Joanie Mosley says

Thanks so much for the head’s-up on Japanese Beetles/grubs, really appreciate your advise :) Keep it coming!

85. Wayne Staudenmaier says

If you could at a future date, Please attack the SQUASH BUG problem in this same way. They get into everything Squash, Melons, Cukes and I find them everywhere in my garden here in Waco, TX.

86. Clyde says

I’m seeing and reading a lot about sea-water fertilizing and am wondering if you have every experienced or considered using that method for outdoor plant or lawn feeding? I have used it exclusively for Micro-greens and wheat-grass indoors and it works great for that but have always wondered if there would eventually be too much of a salt buildup in the soil.

87. Jack Bush says

I’ve used both and they work well, just takes a while.

Do you have a method to control squash bugs? They’re killing me here in Northern Nevada!

88. Ron Burton says

Fayetteville, Arkansas is just beginning to show a few of them. Our chums in Hampshire, Tennessee have had ‘em big time the past 2 years. Their biggest concern is not growing things, so much as their home. The damn things are thicker than thieves, all over the side of the house, in the house, in the bathtub, in your hair … etc. Any ideas for home prevention, in Tennessee and before they get to that point here in northwest Arkansas? Maybe a recording of the Mikado, played in a very. very high key, from speakers inside of a very large electric cage?

89. Emily says

I have always had success with the white grubs simply by watering my lawn really well in really dry weather. Usually it takes only once or twice. The grubs surface, I pick them up and throw them into the bird bath. Happy birds, happy lawn, happy me. No work, to speak of.

90. Daryle says

Milky spore and other teeny, tiny living things don’t do well when the ground freezes, which happens on an annual basis in Vermont. You would have to re-apply milky spore, i.e. start over, every year where there is ground frost. It’s too expensive.

I have heard that sometimes hanging patches of panty hose from plant stems can catch certain insects. I know it works on grasshoppers, it should work on Japanese beetles. Good way to accumulate free fishing bait, or to feed the chickens. You do have chickens, don’t you?

Buy a Japanese beetle trap. Wrap it up with pretty paper and a ribbon. Give it to your unsuspecting neighbor who lives about a football field away or so. Include free installation.

Guinnea hens not only clean up on Japanese beetles, they love ticks! If you get lucky they may start laying eggs, too. Living in or near downtown anywhere takes some of the fun out of this deterent, you know how the neighbors talk!

The tried and true hot, soapy water, teach-them-how-to-swim method works every time and offends very few.

High quality soil, using, among other things, Lactic Acid Bacteria, attracts all kinds of microscopic critters, including nematodes, which can feed on grubs. If this didn’t work, we would still have dinosaur carcasses around.

Say Hi to the donkeys, please.

91. Linda Bale says

I live in the country and I let the moles take care of the Japanese Beetle grubs. They get a good dinner and I don’t have the beetles. Win – Win for us both.

92. David Mashinter says

Posted Aug 3 2014 – Excellent article re Japanese beetles. We have an infestation on our hardy, rugosa roses shrubs under way this year! Straight-forward , precise information – awaiting the nematode treatment which I have done myself each year in mid-late June. Didn’t apply this year – maybe that’s why we have the rose infestation. True Green company from Cambridge Ontario Canada is coming to apply their brand of “hunter” nematodes this August. Thank you to Mikes Backyard Garden for simplifying the issue.