Clam Shell Air Propagator

If you want to do something that’s really fun in your yard, give this a try.  The art or technique of air propagating, commonly known as air layering, has been around for years.  But my friend Hong Park has created a little plastic device that makes the process simple.

Watch the video.

For more easy plant propagation techniques see this page;

You can buy the clam shell propagators at http://www.airpropagator.com/ tell Hong that Mike McGroarty sent you.

Have fun!

Click Here to Subscribe for FREE!

Comments

• Franny Rustand says

I just bought several of the clam shells after seeing your video. I know you said you would do this in the spring and summer but I wanted to know if this process works in the winter months? I live in zone 6 in Oklahoma.

1. Ran says

Mike – is there a code I should use at the AirPropagator website so he knows you sent me??? He asks me to “Enter Code For Special Offers” on his purchase online page.

2. Rhonda says

I have a houseplant that has gotten too tall. I would like to reroot it halfway up the stem. However, I’m concerned this might kill the plant since it’s the only stem it has, unlike the trees shown in the video. Is this possible?

I just checked on buying those clam shells. The price isn’t bad, but the shipping is the same cost as the product, doubling the cost of the order.

Apparently $5.99 is the shipping cost for each type of product, no matter how many you buy. This brings S&H way down per item if you order several of a kind.
      I ordered 5 3-packs of the clam shells. I’m going to try them on my carob tree.

4. cedric says

Do you have any knowledge of how well the new trees do after detaching from the mother and planting.

5. antony king says

That was a wow factor for sure Mike. I would love to try that on a hazelnut or perhaps a Harry Lauder … what do you think? Thanks for the wonderful demo and I am sure it will be a hit!

6. Pam says

This is the same idea I use for my tomato plants,etc…. I start my tomato plants from seed well before Christmas and by spring I have a very large leggy plant in my window and I put potting soil filled pouches around each stem.. I have a dozen and more hearty plants from one plant.. It works great for me so I can see where this is a great idea!!

7. Eamon says

This is the best idea I’ve seen in years.
    I have just ordered three dozen of those
    propagators.
    Thanks Mate.

8. Gwen says

This is one of the best things I’ve seen come along! Please let us know as soon as you get the ordering info. I’m certainly interested in ordering some and will pass this video on to all my gardening friends. I’m sure they’ll be equally as excited. Thanks so much for sharing this with us!!

9. Marty Persilver says

Mike luv your emails. Mike this isn’t something new been using this system for over forty years. My grandfather showed me this when I was a kid but we use burlap,nylon strings and good fertile soil.Just spray them with the water hose when needed. I have to admit I never tried it on anything but figs hadn’t dawned on me that it would work on other trees lol. PS: black plastic and duct tape are awesome also

10. chuck wolfe says

Ordered a couple of these clams on May 30th,recieved on June 4th.Fast and freight ony$5.99.I’m happy.

11. laurelle says

I just ordered mine. Wow and I get to use my own trees!
    I will let you know how this old lady does.

• Dennis says

Without simple modification, about 3/8 to 1/2 inch is max. There are pre-scored tear outs for the branch, but they can be enlarged a little with a sharp knife

Rick,

I have no long term experience using this system, but layering, which is all that this is, has been used for hundreds of years I would guess. So I’d have no reason to think the trees won’t thrive. When you remove the clam shell make sure to loosen the roots to break the pattern of them growing in a circle. That way they’ll quickly establish into the new soil.

12. Donnie Adams says

I odered the clamshells and have already received them, Want to try them on hardwood trees such as Hickory, Sycamore. Mr.Park is a very pleasant person to speak with, he speaks highly of you also. Hey I’m still making the dirt farmers fudge! Good stuff. Thanks for the video on the Clamshell Air Propagators.

I guess I’ll just wing it, and hope for the best. I figure any extra will run out the bottom. Things dry out REALLY fast here in Phoenix, so I want to make sure the rooting material stays moist enough.

• Dennis says

You might put plastic wrap loosely around it to keep the moisture inside from evaporating as quickly. In Ohio, I water them every 2-3 days.

13. Keith says

Mike, I have some nice grafted Japanese maples of about 10 various types. They use trident maples for the root part. Would the air propagated plants look like the various 10 types I started with?

14. Penny says

Hi Mike! I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago and I already have them on 4 of my favorite rose bushes It was really simple to do. I think it was kind of late in the season to start them but I just had to try them out. I would love to get enough rose bushes to line my driveway. Thanks Mike for all the good info you have given us.

I have been using a little different system for quit a while. I bought 1000 small plastic bags for about $11.00 + $6.00 shipping. I put in about 1 ½ cup of growing media ( 1 part peat, 3 parts Perlite) Seal the bag with an old seal a meal sealer. Then store the bags for future use. I cut the bag, tie it around the wounded limb. Tie it on with electrical tape, cover it with Al. foil. Wa La, 2 months later I have baby plants. My success rate yesterday was 29 out of 31 rooted.

Hans P. Gruetzenbach

16. Robert says

alot of your suckering bushes you can take alower branch & bend it to where it touches the ground, dig asmall hole & beary the branch, first bending it till it snaps, not all the way off the mother plant bury & watter, dig up in spring and plant. not all will root but most will. I have good success with hony suckle . keep it wattered.

17. ashton says

hi mike i have used this propagators but i have a huge problem with small black ants that invade the ball and make a nest inside,,, then theres no more compost for the roots to grow.. is there anybody out there with a good non chemical ant killer that i can use inside the ball .. will really apreciate any ideas ,,, love and regards from china

18. Dudley Louvier says

I bought the clam shells. When is the best time to air layer, Spring, Summer or Fall? I want to do a crabapple, tulip tree, and some dogwood trees.