Later this month, September 2022, I have invited our members to my place for an event that we call The Backyard Growers Shindig. We’ve been doing this for so long, gathering together once a year to meet new members and catch up with old members. It truly is an amazing event. Nothing fancy, just a bunch of people who are passionate about growing and selling small plants from home getting together and just enjoy the company of one another.
When did we start doing this? Honestly I cannot remember. But I do know that the first few were at This House, and we moved out of there in 2005. So it was long before that.
The purpose of this post is to say thank you to all of you, members and non members for years and years of support. I first started doing what I do online in 1999 and it has been one crazy ride. I have met so many people who are passionate about plants and passionate about helping one an other that sometimes just stop and think back to those early days. The one thing that has never changed is the kindness that you folks have shown to Pam and I.
So from the bottom of my heart, Thank You!
About this year’s shindig.
- We are going to start the day by visiting one of the large wholesale nurseries in this area for an even that our local association holds every year. I suspect that there will be tours of the nursery, all kinds of demonstrations, and there will be vendors.
- When I say vendors, there will be companies that sell equipment, companies that sell buld potting soil, and nursery that sell small plants at amazing low prices.
- And there will be experts in the trade and I mean hundreds and hundreds of experts, all gathered in one place to share what they know.
- Later in the day we will meet at my nursery where we can gather and catch up on old times and meet many of our new members. Some of the folks that are coming have been coming for years, for some this will be there first time.
- It’s amazing but people travel great distances just to experience this day. We are located in Ohio and for sure I know that we have a member traveling from California. And she has been here before so it pleases me to know that she places such a high value on the experience to make that expensive trip again.
- We will have members selling plants to and from one another. We have a couple from North Carolina that will be here with plants to sell. I’m not sure exactly what they are bringing but I do know that they specialize in Japanese maples and just recently I bought 20 Geisha Gone Wild Japanese maples from them for $12 or $15 each. Can you believe that? Geisha Gone Wild is an extremely rare Japanese maple and to think that I got 20 of them for less than $15 each is crazy.
- We have another member that lives in the area and I hope to have him here with Weeping Redbuds and other really interesting plants that he sells.
Anyway, The Backyard Growers Shindig of 2022 is about to happen. All the details are in Our Members Area.
But once again, thank you so much to each and every one of you that have supported me for over 20 years doing the only thing I know how to do.
Questions, comments, mean things to say? Post them below and I will respond. Until then, by any and all means stay inspired!