Using Predator Pee (Urine) to Keep Unwanted Animals Out of Your Gardens.

Last updated : 10 November 2014

Keeping unwanted animals out of the garden can be a challenge and I hear from people all the time who have this problem.  Those of us who Make Money Growing Small Plants often use sand in our plant propagation areas and all too often neighborhood cats think these propagation areas are great big litter boxes.

And of course others deal with feral cats, dogs, wild board, you name it they have a problem with it.  So if you have solutions that work we’d all like to hear from you, post a comment below.

Quick and Easy Way to Make Money at Home Growing Plants

Using Predator Pee to Keep Unwanted Animals at Bay

I can’t promise you that this works because I’ve never really had an issue where I’ve needed to test it, but I have been aware of this website for years.  There’s this guy in Maine that runs a website that sells all kinds of wild animal urine that’s used to keep all kinds of animals at bay.

He calls himself the “Pee Man”!

His website is interesting and he’s a funny guy.  The guy sells Bobcat Urine, Mountain Lion Urine, Bear Urine, Wolf Urine and he sells “Pee Shots”.  Yes, “Pee Shots!”  Of course the first question that comes to mind is; “How do you collect urine from a Mountain Lion?”  I won’t give you the answer, you’ll have to visit his site for that, but this is his prelude to the answer;

“If I had a nickle for every time I’ve been asked that question I’d have packed the bags, gotten into the limo and headed for the airport a long time ago.”  Like I said, his website is pretty entertaining.  It’s called http://predatorpee.com.

Wolf Urine

According to his website wolf urine can be used to deter cats, feral cats, coyotes and foxes.

Coyote Urine

The Pee Man says that Coyote urine will deter rats, deer, raccoons, groundhogs, gophers and possum.

Bobcat Urine

Bobcat urine is good for mice, moles and voles.

Mountain Lion Urine

This is getting bizarre but I’m just tellin ya what it says!  Mountain Lion urine is said to keep deer, wild deer, javelins and armadillo at bay.

Okay, I’m done.  This is one of the most bizarre posts I’ve written to date.  What do you think?  Have you ever used Predator Urine to keep animals out of your gardens?  Post your comments below!

Find out how to keep cats from using your garden as a litter box here.

Did You Know that You Can Make
65¢ per square inch in your Backyard?

Comments

1. Frank says

There is a light on the market that scares predators away from chicken coops. This too could be used to deter animals from getting into your propagation beds. Just look up poultry supplies and you should be able to find it. I don’t know the name of the item or company that manufatures it but any larger poultry supply company should have it on their website.

2. Frank says

The best way(price wise) to buy urine is in the 1/2 gal. to 1 gallon size. Google trapping supply dealers and you willl find all the urine you want at reasonable prices. Or pick up a FUR-FISH-GAME magazine at your local bookstore/magazine/newspaper stand. There are numerous dealers in FFG that will have almost any type of urine you would need in sizes(volumes-pints quarts half gallon and gallon) that you would want.

3. jini craft says

I live in South West Missouri. My daughter and I have a large unfenced garden, where we grow nearly every vegetable known to man. We had a horrible problem with rabbits for a couple years until someone told us about marigolds. Rabbits love to eat marigolds, and if they are planted thickly around the perimeter of your garden the rabbits will stop and dine right there and never go any farther into the garden. Plus, the marigolds give the garden a really charming look. Occasionally a smarter-than-average rabbit will find a green bean to nibble, but we are very happy with this method of pest control.

4. Jane Woods says

I have tried cat litter by dumping the litter box contents in areas where I was having problems. It seemed to work for a short time on ground hogs and skunks. This winter I put out rat poisen in pvc tubes (like Mike suggest) and although the poison seems to disapppear completely, the pest have not eaten my plants? Can’t explain it. Just know my plants are healthy and undamaged. I’ve also been told that scattering hair works but haven’t tried it yet. And was told to pour my own urine around but decided to do the cat litter instead.

• Janis says

Just remember, Jane, that if a cat or dog eats a poisoned rodent they find, they can become critically ill or die, also. Our pets don’t have to eat the poison itself to suffer the effects from it.

5. Dwight says

Of course one should use all one’s urine on garden, lawn, or compost. It is high nitrogen, strong enough so that you should not just pee in one place on the lawn but spread it out, and it may well mark your territory and deter some critters. It’s a shame how much urine and compostable garbage gets disposed of in ways that not only waste the nutrient value, but cost us money to have it treated.

6. Robert Jones says

I lived in upstate NY with a deer problem. A neighbor that had lived there many years told me to use an electric fence of two wires. On knee height,22″ and one chest height,42″. I did as he said and for the three years I lived there I had no more deer problems. The lower one is sensed when browsing and the upper one when just walking. They never jumped the fence even when they could smell the pea plants when they were ripe.

7. Marina says

This blog was highly entertaining and funny.
    My neighbor’s new cat used my garden as a litter box last year. I plan on getting something like repel.

8. vijie says

Hi Every one

I live in NEWYORK . I see , on my way to office, Chinese family feeding diluted HUMAN URINE to vegetable plants .. It did not take much time for me to figure out the cause of stink whenever i pass by their home ..!

9. Woody says

Mike
    During the growing season, one of the best things for moles and voles is to plant castor beans. They have pretty flowers, but the plants can be poisonous to house animals and children. One or two plants in a garden area or a flower bed is usually all that is needed. Plants grow about three feet high. Don’t know how it works on other animals, but I dodn’t have any moles or voles in about a one acre yard, garden and flower beds.
    Woody

10. Ruth says

Mike, I have used a granuel formula that had Fox urine to repel groundhogs. It didn’t seem to work very well, but the neighbor’s shot gun got rid of their’s and mine too. Groundhogs that is. :)
    To Rich- That’s a good one. Best idea I’ve heard in a long time. Those store products are expensive. :)

This is Ruby again! I remembered something that I must share. When my husband and I were both in our 20’s. A neighbor told me a story about urine. Her husband had an infection on his feet that went up his legs. The doctors couldn’t seem to help him. She told her husband she is fed up with this and is going to get rid of it. She had her two daughters urinate in a bucket. Gave it to her husband to put his feet in and apply it to his legs. Of course he threw a fit but did it. With a few treatments it cleared up. He went to the Dr. and he asked what happened. Said he knew about doing this but can’t tell his patients to do that. Mike, if you think your information sounded weird. How about this one?

12. Carol says

I was told that antifreeze can be used for getting rid of rats ,if it can be put where cats or dogs can NOT get it.. Be careful if you try this please.. we do not want to hurt someone’s kitty or dog..

• Connie says

Don’t you suppose the antifreeze does the same thing to the rats that it does the dogs & cats & children?

It it a tremendously painful way for anything to die.

I am a big believer is ridding ourselves of pests, but there are usually hundreds of HUMANE ways to do it. Why make something, anything, die a tremendously painful death when a quick one is more humane?

I’d never use antifreeze for anything than what it was intended. Just my take on it!

Our bird house was close to our deck at the back of our yard. The squirrels would go to the top of the posts and use them as their bath room. We had seen them make a trip from a tree to go do their business and then go back to the tree. I told my husband we need to collect our urine and paint the posts. But we never did. We moved the bird house instead so the food wouldn’t draw the squirrels there. My reply to Mike’s story was going to be ” Why not try our own PEE”

14. Raun says

I used the crystalline type of predator urine without results against squirrels, skunks, racoons. Those pests just walked over it without noticing. we don’t have deer in the garden (knock on wood) so I don’t know if it works on them. To me, it was a complete waste of money, effort and hopefulness.

15. Linda Pannell says

Hi Mike. I was having problems with other cats coming into my yard at night and peeing in my patio around my plants. Cat urine, as everyone knows, is very stinky. I found out through a web site, putting down orange peelings all over stops that from happening. It works. Within a few days, no fresh urine, and the old smell left. My own cats won’t use these areas either, the smell of orange peels turns their nose up. they go back in and use their litter box. My dogs are inside at night, so the stray cats well come in. My cats are supervised outside. This is how I know they are other cats. Keeping fresh orange peel out and about really does seem to work

16. Norm says

You’re right, it was entertaining and informative, but please note the spelling of “nickel” its not nickle
    N

17. Michael says

I think I knew where you were going with it the moment I saw the link to this sight. I know that urine is used to hunt deer, so why wouldn’t these other urines keep pests out of the garden? It’s a natural and instinctive thing for the way animals react. I’m glad you posted it. Thanks Mike!!!

18. larry albert says

I first read of using LION manure 40 years ago, to keep raccoons out of the garden. In the next issue of the mag. some one reported they had received some lion manure from my local zoo in kansas city missouri usa. He reported that he didn’t know about raccons in other parts of the country. But in missouri they ain’t afraid of lions. I have had personal experience with using a radio to encourage a skunk to move from under my porch. Never came back. It was tuned to what ever comes on during a 24 hr. peroid. That pee guy has the best scam i ever heard of $$$$$.

19. Rich says

This is probably just as bizarre to you, but while I don’t need to use any animal urine in my garden, I do use my own urine in the compost! Urine is sterile, high in nitrogen, mixes easily with any other medium and is amply abundant. You should see my 12′ Tomato plants!
    I read about it years ago in an Oriental Gardening chapter of a horticultural textbook. The Chinese (and probably all ancient peoples) have been using it for thousands of years, referring to it among other things as ‘Midnight Soil’!
    I’ve never revealed this soil amendment secret to anyone and hopefully, none of my friends or relatives are on your email list. So let’s just keep this one to ourselves, ok?
    Every day something new! Isn’t life wonderful!

20. Alan Bailey says

I have lost upwards of 34 ducks and 6 hens to foxes on 4 separate occasions. Here in the UK, many poultry keepers swear by male urine. I know a woman that gets every male visitor to have a pee along the perimeter of her chicken run. I do what I can but do not drink enough to drench the boundary, especially as I am on the edge of a housing estate and can easily be seen during daylight. Women’s urine apparently does not have enough testosterone!

Hank,

A wild board is a board from an untamed forest. Is that what I wrote, board? I read that article at least twice. But I don’t get all worked up over typos. If I was really concerned with trying to be perfect I could only create 1/100th of the information that I do now.

I have used mothballs to keep the neighbors cats away it must of worked as I have not seen one cat dig a hole or their footprints. Neighbors keep asking what those white dots are for ha

• Connie says

Mothballs are extremely toxic, though. They dissolve into the ground water. The box has skull & crossbones. It’s bad stuff. We used to put it into our woodpile for snakes, but then had a problem with the runoff killing everything.

Stay away from it unless you can contain it. Keep it out of the rain & make sure nothing can run off. It’s vapors are toxic. DO NOT BREATHE.

22. Serena says

I have heard that urine from meat-eating male humans works the same way and that is usually free in most households.

• riverwood kat says

Actually i think any human urine works. we have done this for years. I tell my son’s and Hubby to mark our garden and
      chicken areas on a regular basis. They can perform easier than me, as males!
      But it does seem to help.

23. Mike Coloma says

We’ve used fox urine in our garden and it works
    quite well. We pick it up at our local gardener supply shop in a crystaline form.
    I have no idea how it is harvested!!!
    Mike

24. Linda says

My cats do a great job with the gophers, but what they leave behind isn’t much better. There’s got to be a better way.

25. bernie says

think about this ….
    how can you expect any animal to react to any urine where the species has not had any contact with that predator and its urine? the new smell would be no different than putting out perfume as a deterent
    We live where there is a deer problem and there are no natural predators so how can you expect the deer to flee from any deposit of urine, and think that the amount of money spent

Bernie,

You might be, probably are right, but by the same token the amount of damage that deer can do in a single feeding does allow for some experimentation that would require a fairly small investment. But like I said in the beginning, I don’t honestly know how well it works or if it works at all.

26. linhanah says

Have purchased urine from this individual in the past. If your problem is deer destroying your everygreens with their antlers during the shedding season, trust me, even the urine doesn’t work!

27. Bren says

My mother-in-law had a bad mole problem in her yard. Her daughter has a cat that uses the litterbox. They put the used cat litter (not the clumping kind) in the mole holes, watered it so that it would leach into the ground and the moles left and went over to the neighbor’s yard. Well worth a try I think.

28. terry says

I have used fox pee to keep squirrels.Away from blue berry bushes . It. Works to a point, then my shotgun takes over.

29. Lance Pawlikowski says

Let me tell you about my experience with coyote urine last year. I put it in three locations around my garden. It said it worked for up to a month, but I applied it every week or less. It seemed to work until my heirloom peppers were just getting nice and the next morning they were down to the stems. The deer weren’t fooled. And forget those flashing red lights that are supposed to look like wolf eyes. The deer figure those out in a few days. Just ask my brother. The deer wiped out most of his peppers, bush beans, carrots and beets in one night. The only thing that works is a tall fence that starts two feet in the ground, to keep the groundhogs out, or a dog that can actively patrol the garden. Anything else is a joke.

Hello,

Am in the SE corner of Arkansas – almost in Louisana – we have a huge preditor issue. Bears – wild hogs – deer and all the little varmits as well.

Two things work for me. Hot Sauce – sprinkle it everywhere.

And also put a dozen raw eggs in a gallon of water – 20 cloves of crushed garlic and fill bottle with water. Leave in full sun for 2 weeks and yes it stinks! lol

Strain and place in a sprayer. Spray anywhere the varmits are giving you a problem. Works here.

But this does not work on gators. Sigh….

Patti, I’ll be the hot sauce is good on the gators if you eat them! About the hot sauce. Growers around here mix Louisiana Hot Sauce with a transpirant like VaporGuard or Wilproof so it sticks to the plants to keep the rabbits out of the nursery.

• Doug says

I make homemade deer repellant that works really well–except for fruit trees! (Nothing but fencing then!) For everything else:
      2 eggs
      2 tablespoons garlic
      2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
      2 2 tablespoons hot sauce
      and, most important of all:
      about 1 tablespoon of xanthan gum (you can buy it at a health food store)
      I mix this all up in a blender, except the gum, which I add a little at a time, pour out half, add water, and maybe more xanthan gum, blend again…repeat until you have a full gallon.
      Let this sit for a day or two–good lord does it stink! But it works. Best of all: the xanthan gum makes it stick to the plants, and not wash off in the rain. I dilute the gallon mix with a gallon of water, put in a watering can, and apply liberally to my baby trees.
      Except for fruit trees, I’ve had great success with this…and it’s cheap, easy to make, and, except for the gum, uses normal household supplies. (The gum is a little tricky….it turns liquid to a gel, so mix a little at a time, and blend it in.)

31. Beverly says

Hi, I had a friend I worked with and to keep unwanted critters of anykind out of her gardens and flower beds, she had her husband and son urinate into coffee cans, and left it set a few days and then dribble it all around the garden and flower beds. She said it absolutely worked, but the urine smell would dissipate, but the animals could stil smell it. I haven’t tried it myself yet, but thinking of doing it, if I get to have any troubles with critters.

32. Julie Richards says

I know someone that goes to the local barber shop and collects the hair that the barbers sweep up after a hair cut. He sprinkles it around his yard and gardens and never has a problem with rabbits, skunks or deer. I have heard about the pee too, but never have used it, nor do I think I want to.

33. Gary of Cincinnati says

I use human pee mixed in a 2 gal sprinkling can. Works on deer but have to rotate with other repellants (works best if you eat meat, the deer can tell.) Also, mint oil (from your health food store) works to repell mice and rats. I use it under my bird feeder to get rid of mice.

34. Jim says

Deer hunters have used doe urine to attract the bucks during hunting season successfully. This is sort of reverse psychology I guess
    but I think it should work.

• Rita says

Norman, if you take a bar of soap (dial, dove, zest) really any will do and you shave the soap, then place shavings into a pantyhose and hang it in your garden you should see more produce and less deer! I’m in NY state and my brother grows grapes and he had a heck of a time with the deer. They ate his entire crop two years in a row! I told him about the soap and instead of shaving it he placed the bars in pantyhose and hung them every few feet ~ this past Christmas he gave me a bottle of home made wine so I knew then it had worked for him! Best wishes!

I have used the soap in trees also & it worked for me. The deer had all but killed off 3 pine trees by raking their antlers in the fall. I saved 2 but the 3rd. tree is slow at coming back. You can also go to the local barber shop & get a bag of cut hair & put it around the area you want to protect. It has the sent of humans, the animals will stay away. After a few weeks it will desolve, just put some more down.

36. Jeannie says

Bizaar, I know. but i have a friend who pees in a jug and pours it in mole hills. Keeps the moles at bay. They actually stay away from his lawn. Kinda gross, but it works, I guess. :)

37. Belinda Palmer says

Mike, I’ve used predator urine, soap, human hair, dried blood, sweat-soaked rags, etc. to deter deer, and it ALL works–for about two weeks, until they figure out that there are no predators, humans, etc. The only sure-fire deer deterrents are a rifle, dog, or ten feet of fence (one ten foot high fence, or two five feet, spaced a few feet apart. I’ve had better luck with Repels All than anything else. It’s especially effective if used beginning early in the season, to discourage deer from establishing a routine path.

I hybridize daylilies, with too many to protect with nets, and the deer like to wait until the early morning of the day I’m planning to cross a particular plant to devour the buds. It’s Repels All and my dog for me!

We had deer eating our roses and we planted apple trees they were beginning to eat the branches of. My friend worked at an orchard and said to hang ivory soap in stockings around anything that you wanted to protect and we did and our problems were solved….

38. Michael Vilkin says

Mice and rats and gophers live in my yard. My cat is catching them almost every night, and I save money on cat food.

39. Anna says

I think this makes a lot of common sense and it should work. Animals use their olfactory senses a lot more completely than we do and often “mark” territories via urine. While this is done primarily to warn off members of their own species, prey animals would naturally cue on these invisible signposts and stay away from those areas, too.

What I have used effectively is a more general all-purpose “warning”, which is dried blood. ALL animals seem to know what that means and to stay away—-cats, rabbits, deer, moose, you name it—-scatter a line of dried blood around the perimeter of the garden 2-3 times per season, and you never have critter problems at all. It doesn’t take much to do the job, either. Best of all, blood is a good fertilizer. It just soaks into the ground and nourishes your border plantings while protecting the rest of the garden from animal freeloaders.

I’m not saying anything against this man’s use of predator pee. It is probably more specific to certain pests and very efficient in deterring them. I am just offering the more generally available “cure all” for readers who looking for something to help deter furry garden pests.

Since you mentioned the subject of “pee” my husband tells a story of a man that lived in rural Florida near him when he was growing up. This man use to sell the onions that he grew in his garden. They were some of the largest and sweetest onions that he had ever tasted. Come to find out his secret was he collected his own urine and would add to the water that was run down between the rows of the onions. You just never know!!!
    Have a blessed day!!!

41. Bob Bulmer says

Mike,interesting article. I have tried hanging Irish Spring soap from trees and plants that deer have been eating on my property. It works to a point.

Bob,
      You’re right, everything works to a point. Most growers have realized that only a high fence does the trick all of the time.

• striveshare says

Hook a radio up to a motion sensor. Every time an unwanted visitor comes near, wahlah! the human sound of the radio will chase them away.

I like this idea and I’m pretty sure you can get a battery operated motion detector, those wild game cameras have them. Definitely worth a try.

• Connie says

The thing with deer is that they are afraid of what they aren’t familiar with. They don’t have very good depth perception sight.

Once they are around something for awhile & it doesn’t seem to be a threat, they’ll ignore it.

You constantly have to change what you are using: hair, soap, Liquid Fence, etc.

The only way I know to keep them out is with a BIG, tall fence.

Now, I did read during the winter that because of their vision, you can put 2 fences around a garden, about 4 feet apart and because they can’t see past the second one very well & the space between the 2 fences is a bit close for jumping that they’ll go away. Haven’t tried it & instead of fencing, I’m going to plant a 5 foot flowerbed around my garden & plant only things I know they won’t touch. Daffodils, iris, rosemary, lemon scented anything, lavender, & things like that. I’m going to put forsythia close to my fence & then plant shorter things on out to 5 feet, with daffodils on the front edge & I’ll plant marigolds in the summer.

Hope this does the trick. It’ll be a good place for some of my herbs, too.

42. Jeff K says

Skunks, Mike??? Anything for skunks? They’re becoming far more than just ‘inconvenient’ in Chicago suburbs! (Just in immediate surrounding neighbors, six dog-skunkings last year)

• Ron says

This does work I am sure. But there is a much cheaper alternative. You just got together over your own prejudices to do it. Having heard about buying predator urine to protect your garden or even small livestock like chickens, I remember about reading in numerous occasions about how wild predators Mark their territories with urine. Other predators instinctively avoid encroaching on the territory marked by urine fearing being attacked by the predator that marked it. In August of 2013, we moved onto our dream acreage,bringing our 70+ chickens and turkeys with us. By mid October, most had been killed an eaten by coyotes. Desperation set in, and I tried something I had thought about many times before but hadn’t quite brought myself to do. I started holding on until after dark to go out to the chicken tractors and peeing around the pens. No, I don’t have enough to go around all th way, I just leave what I can. The attacks stopped immediately. After about 3 weeks, I missed doing it for 2 nights, another attack. I resumed the peeing, and no more attacks. A lot of people have been skeptical of this, but to wildlife HUMANS ARE PREDATORS. Like it or not, you are. So you can tell yourself, “ugh, that’s disgusting. I would never do that!”, and go ahead and send that guy your $75.00,but I’ll keep the $75 in my pocket, pocketbook you very much. Granted, sexism aside, this would be a little easier for a man or boy to do, so you ladies might prefer to assign your husband, boyfriend or son to do this chore. So there’s my 2 cents on that subject. Or maybe it’s my $75.

• Jim says

Ron,
          I was thinking the exact same thing as I was reading the article. After a few beer drinking buddies were in the yard one night, I noticed the local cats that usually visit my Koi pond were not around that week. You have a valid point.Beer is cheaper that mountain lion urine, and less offensive if you spill it on yourself.

• Anonymous says

This may have worked for you, but it’s been completely ineffective for me in western Nevada. Construction nearby has displaced several hundred deer, and they’ve moved into our older neighborhood of 1920s-era homes. We see up to a dozen at a time, munching their way through nearly everything. I’ve peed the entire perimeter, and trained our dogs to go near the fence line. The deer are oblivious.

• cheri says

I was in the process of moving from a Minnesota city to a mountain in Idaho, and brought 7 fruit trees to plant. I was going to be back and forth for over a year, so I tried something my father in law told me. I peed in a mason jar, and cut up a yellow sheet into 2 inch wide strips, and tied the yellow strips to the trees, and dunked them in the urine. Over the winter, all the rest of the trees in my area were killed by deer, but mine remained untouched. Worked for me!

• Mark Fredrick Cleveland, MEDINA,Ohio says

go to a farm feed/supply store. Tractor Supply?TSC. Get a metal canister (looks like quaker oats can) of Golden Malrin Fly poison. blue crystals inside. mix a spoonful of it with quarter can tuna, spoon of grape jelly, in a jar lid. put it where they will find it.DO NOT LET ANY unintended victims get into it:kids, neighbor’s dog, your cat, etc. IT WILL KILL them fast!! made raccoons scare around my chicken barn this way!!probably not completely legal:poisoning wildlife, etc….but what happens when these pests get into things???…

• Tatijana Grk says

I don’t like your info on the poison that you are recommending for “killing” wildlife. I’m sure it’s not legal-as you said yourself!. How horrible to recommend something that unintended animals such as our own beloved pets will get into also. This information is cruel and disgusting. there are other safe means to use to deter wildlife from destroying your garden. You have no right to be recommending poison that kills animals. Your information can be read by a cruel person who will use your idea to kill any animal they choose–be careful of the info you put out there–PLEASE!!!!!

• linda says

You, obviously, have never had the problems of country life. Wild animals have eaten $1000’s of my trees, ate the wiring in my washing machine, my printer and chewed holes into my house and my entire lawn ruined. We are talking big bucks here and I am just trying to survive like all the other animals on earth. I’ll do whatever it takes and am grateful for the information given here.

• striveshare says

Wow, you are one sick person. Life is precious. Obviously you have not learned this important lesson. Too bad there are people out there like you that are free to harm other life forms.

• julia burton says

I would not poison any wildlife. I am also an animal lover but be careful throwing words like “life forms”
          ‘ around. I have many vegan friends that look down on meat eaters. Plants are life forms too and can’t scream or run away when pulled from the ground by a grinning animal such as myself or you so be careful. The plants are actually the better “life form” being able to make thier food from minerals water and sunshine then GIVE us the oxygen for free. Time to admit that life for any animal is second hand business and how far you go to protect your life is a personal matter. I may myself stop short of poisening other animals but I am muderer non the less of wonderful passive creatures just to stay alive myself. not uppity about it though!

• Connie says

Well, it’s obvious those other folks have never had a problem with a nuisance animal that not even the county or state could do anything about. Sometimes, ‘wild’ animal become domesticated enough all on their own to become a problem & even dangerous.

We had a really BIG bear take out all but three of my 75 chickens, hurt one of our dogs, chased me, and more.

The game people tried to trap him. He knew all about traps. (I hate the relocation of problem bear program they have going on.) He wasn’t afraid of humans, he knew all about what the traps were. We watched him check it out & walk away. He’d been in one before, it was obvious.

Eventually, they had to take him out. We couldn’t even go to our barn safely to take care of our animals. I was afraid to walk to the car without a gun.

This is not way to live. Once you’ve lived with a problem animal, you’ll do anything that will work. These aren’t cute little (or big) wild animals. They are a problem. A real threat to life & property.

If the county hadn’t taken the steps they took, I definitely would have considered poisoning him. He was not good to himself or for us.

Now, that may sound cruel, but we live with bear, bobcats, mountain lions, coyotes, deer, etc., and we live peacefully with them all. We’re not out to wipe out the wildlife. But a threat to my life will lose it’s life, definitely.

• Gary says

Connie, same as my message to Mark. Please use bullets & not poison, please. Poisoning is not humane in any form.
          Please reconsider.

Thank you.

Gary

• Jackie says

What do we expect from these animals we as People have moved into there habitat. Why wouldn’t they come around to find food that is what they do. If we put our houses in their territory then we are invading their spaces. I don’t really believe in poisoning any animal but I don’t think we should invade the places where they have to live either. Sorry, I’ll get off my soapbox now.

• snow says

Just goes with the saying of once it is on your property it becomes a predator. We have had so many of our animals killed by neighbors dogs. We had to kill one of their dogs cause they were packing together and killing our animals (that were in pens) Out in the country your on your own, the law will not help you. I am seriously thinking about buying urine or like the man said above trying human urine. I am tired of us having to fear for our animals lives.

• Gary says

Mark, please reconsider poison, please. It is not humane!
        Please,Please use a bullet!

Thank you for consideration.

Gary

• Code Red says

i am not a violent or mean person regarding animals, but, when it comes to a pest, it is them, or me. i choose them. a raccoon can rip a person’s face up. mice will keep breeding and take over a home. rats are a few steps above mice, and can be hostile. i have no small children, and my cat is indoors, so, i am not going to buy *humane* (the pests aren’t human) traps and such to deter pets. not driving 10 miles away to let some mice run free so they can go bug somebody else. and they carry diseases. TB, i believe? that’s about as weird as having a human home intruder who is dangerous, trying to perseude him into leaving because you don’t want to hurt him.

• kelley says

I do not like this at all, Poison is not the answer, I grew up and still live in the country, garden like a mad woman and fight pests but I would not recommend a poison. Especailly one that could also potentially kill cats, dogs, birds, kids and other unsuspecting victims, And no I am not PETA or anything of the sort, I eat wild game.

My daughter recently had a skunk under her house trailer. She tried everything but finally put out chocolate bars under the trailer; the chocolate is gone and so is the skunk. Hooray!

43. theresa says

Believe it or not! Depending on the price, I may have to try it. I keep getting lots of small holes dug all around the yard. Up under my fruit trees. Very frustrating. I have been told it is thought to be armadillo holes.