At the end of January, 2018 Pam and I traveled to the Atlanta, Georgia area to visit with our Backyard Growing Members from the south. I’m not sure how many people actually attended this get together but I think it was around 50, maybe a few more.
Because this visit took place just a few days after my birthday they got together and got me a huge birthday cake. Two things about that . . .
- The cake was awesome! Some of the best cake I’ve ever had.
- It was super thoughtful and kind of them to do that. We were there to visit them and tour the nursery of one of our long time members, Mrinali Goswami of Pixie’s Plants in Conyers, Georgia. Mrinali runs this nursery with her husband Balaji and son Rohan.
It rained. It rained hard, all day, never let up. Didn’t stop us. We still did the nursery tour and enjoyed ourselves immensely.
It’s so nice to finally be able to meet in person people that we’ve been interacting with for years. This is the first time that Pam and I have traveled to the south to meet members. For years, at least 15 years, we’ve been hosting our Famous Backyard Growers Shindigs here at our place in Perry, Ohio.
To those whose names I don’t recall, I’m really sorry. I wish my memory were better.
I’m not sure how many Comfrey roots Nathan sold that day, but I think it was quite a few because I saw lots of people walking around with them. Nice job Nathan!
Notice the potted plants sitting around for sale. Mrinali has plants everywhere! And I mean everywhere. And once you walk down the hill all you can see in all directions are plants, plants and more plants. I think everybody enjoyed the tour. I sure did!
You can see it in this photo but Abby has money in her hand. I think she was fixin to go shopping in the rain!
I will Share this in Our Members Area and see if I can get help with the names that I missed.
Mrinali and Bala invited Pam and I over the night before the event. There were a bunch of people working really hard getting ready for the event with name tags, food etc. Bala was busy in the kitchen cooking up a storm and he share with us some awesome Indian food. That’s Bala!
Mrinali and Bala run this backyard nursery with their son Rohan. It’s what they do, they have no other jobs. Mrinali is the plant maker, making baby plants on a daily basis, potting, weeding etc. She also works “down back” doing all of the shipping for the plants that she sells in Our Members Area. Mrinali has a stellar reputation among our members! She always sends top quality plants and is often accused of not being very good at counting because she often sends extras. She can count! She just likes happy customers!
Bala sells plants online. Larger plants, more expensive plants. And at the event he generously gave us a crash course in selling plants online. How to get started, how much to charge, what expenses to expect and how to get the most orders online and repeat orders. The members truly loved his presentation.
Rohan does a little bit of everything around the nursery, helping customers, making sure the irrigation and other things are working as they should. He also ships packages of plants. Lots and lots of packages of plants. In the spring it’s not unusual for them to have 80 or 90 packages a day to ship. This is one busy little nursery!
And they really ship year round. Backyard Growers don’t really have a plant buying season. They’ll buy anytime of the year that plants can be safely shipped! And for the most part, that’s pretty much all year.
Couple of things about this picture.
- Mrinali is awesome! She’s a fantastic grower, a wonderful person and we were both pretty excited to finally meet. She’s been a member for more than ten years if I remember correctly. And I’m pretty sure that she is coming to our event in August so don’t miss it!
- The little dog is Pixie and the nursery is named after her. Pixie’s Plants. She’s 16 years old now but a great dog!
- The guy hiding in the background is Leslie, I don’t remember his last name but I sure enjoy chatting with him. He’s also a member and since he lives in the area he too came over and helped them getting ready for this event.
- Mrinali is really a trooper for allowing me this photo. It was the end of the day and she was soaked to the bone from the rain!
It’s too bad it rained, but we’re growers right? We can handle it and we did!
Our Backyard Growers Family is Huge! We have members from one end of the country to other, quite a few in Canada and a few other countries as well.
When I put up my first website Freeplants.com 19 years ago I had no idea that what I was doing would change lives. But I truly had no idea how much it would change our lives. It has been an amazing ride and I feel like I am at the very beginning of the journey. Pam and intend to travel and visit with more of our members in different parts of the country as time allows.
In the meanwhile, if you are not a member, what in the world are you waiting for?
Questions, comments, mean thing to say? Post them below and I will reply appropriately.