How to Make 65¢ Per Square Inch in Your Backyard
65¢ Per Square Inch. That’s $93.60 in One Square Foot!
And you can do it over and over and over.
Does the idea of growing and selling small plants in your backyard seem like an intimidating venture for you? I know for a lot of people it does because they look at what I am doing and think to themselves, that’s crazy! There’s no way that I am going to do all of that work, nor do I have room for all of those plants.
So I’d like to simply this for you and try and put it in perspective for you.
Mike and Pam’s Dining Room Table
Much to my wife’s dismay I have adopted the dining room table as my work station. We’ve got an office upstairs with computers and all the gizmos it takes to run a business, but when I’m writing or answering questions etc. I like the dining room table because . . . there’s a nice big bay window and from my seat at the table I can see the street, people walking down the sidewalk, three beautiful Japanese maples and my prized Lavender Twist Redbud tree. And all too often I have the dining room table all junked up with the “things” I need to work. Calender, calculator, pencil sharpener, tape measure, coffee cup etc.
I’m showing you our dining room table because on the table Pam has these place mats and I was looking for a point of reference so the place mats it is.
This place mat is 18″ by 11″. That’s 198 square inches. When I am rooting cuttings, each cutting gets about one square inch of space in the propagation box. That’s all they need, one square inch. They do just fine with only that much room.
I bought this bundle of Gold Flame Spirea from one of my newer customers down in Clinton, Tennessee. Actually I bought four of these bundles from Nathan and he asked me to let him know if the plants arrived okay. So here they are Nathan, you did a great job packing them and you did a great job rooting them. I paid Nathan 60 cents per rooted cutting, he set the price, I happily paid it. I bought a total of 200 of these from him and he shipped them to me in the small box that you see at the top of this page. Nathan just picked up $120.00 for a box of rooted cuttings that he grew right in his backyard!
One hundred and twenty dollars for what some would call twigs!
As you can see the cuttings that Nathan sent me are well rooted and I promise you, as soon as we pot these up they will take off growing like crazy. I’ll probably be able to sell them for $4.97 next spring. Are you beginning to see why growers like me love to buy from other growers?
This Emerald Green Arborvitae cutting was rooted in one square inch of space. The cutting gets one square inch, but the roots as they develop they share the space below the surface. So even though the roots may spread a little wider than one square inch, everything outside of that one square inch is shared with the cutting next door. So . . . you can root one cutting per square inch.
Mike, Do the Roots Get Tangled Up?
Good question and the answer is no. We always use a rooting medium that is loose, not dense, so as you remove the cuttings from their little propagation bed the rooting medium falls away and the cuttings are easily separated from one another.
How Long Does it Take for the Cuttings to Root?
Another good question. It varies from plant to plant but many things will root in four weeks, some things take six weeks, possibly eight weeks depending on what time of the year you stick the cuttings and I explain all of that in great detail in my Backyard Growing System.
Back to the Place Mat on My (Pam’s) Dining Room Table.
I showed you a photo of that place mat so you can get a true visual of how much room you really need to do this. So here are the facts.
1. Each cutting needs one square inch of space.
2. Each place mat on our dining room table is 198 square inches.
3. So in an area the size of a table place mat you can root approximately 198 cuttings.
4. You can make a propagation box out of a plastic tote from Walmart.
5. Each cutting that you root and sell should sell for at least 65¢ per rooted cutting.
6. Growers like me buy hundreds and hundreds of rooted cuttings at one time.
7. In the book that comes with my Backyard Growing System, “Small Plants, Big Profits from Home” I show you many different ways to sell the plants that you grow.
8. Sorry, that book is not available in book stores, Amazon or any other place because it’s part of a package that only I sell. I keep the information in that book very close to my chest which is why only I sell it.
9. Arithmetic. In the area the size of a table place mat you can root 198 cuttings, each cutting sells for 65¢ each, that’s a total of $128.70. My system, “Small Plants, Big Profits from Home” is only $47.00!
10. You can do it over and over and over. If you have the room you can use a much larger area and root even more cuttings. I do thousands at a time. Often times making more than one thousand cuttings in a day!
11. If I’m so smart and know how to root thousands of cuttings at one time, why do I buy rooted cuttings from other growers? Great question! Because there are sooooo many plants that you and I can grow and sell I am always buying more so I can expand my inventory. I spend thousands of dollars per year on plants for my nursery. As a matter of fact, right now there is a box of plants in my garage that I paid over $2,000 for! As soon as I’m done writing this I have to take them over to the nursery and put them to bed for a few weeks. I won’t pot them up until it warms up. It’s still snowing here in Ohio. (march 17th)
Okay, those are the facts. You can grow thousands of rooted cuttings at one time and you can sell them for 65¢ each. You can make $128.70 in an area the size of a Table Place Mat and my system only sells for $47.00!
Mike’s System, “Small Plants, Big Profits from Home” Comes With . . .
Mike’s New Book; “Small Plants, Big Profits from Home”
“This book, “Small Plants, Big Profits from Home” is new. I just wrote it in August of 2012, and it is an awesome resource! This book contains all of the secrets that I’ve learned since I started selling this system 14 years ago.
DVD #1 “How to Start Your Own Backyard Nursery”
The first DVD is all about the Backyard Nursery Business and was filmed in my original Backyard Nursery which was only 1/10th of an acre and I sold tens of thousands of dollars worth of small plants from that Itty Bitty nursery. That nursery inspired my entire online business.
DVD #2 “Plant Propagation Madness”
The second DVD is very new, filmed in 2012 at my new location. This DVD is called “Plant Propagation Madness” and details exactly how I do my plant propagation today. The system that I use really is secret, I never share that with people who are not customers. I share a great deal of information online, but I never share “Plant Propagation Madness”. That’s why I dedicated an entire DVD to the subject.
Real Products You can Hold in Your Hand!
The two DVDs and the book are physical products, we ship them to you via Priority Mail. The Advance Email Course is delivered via Email and it is awesome! It contains information that I only share with customers.
Mike’s “Easy Plant Propagation Book (digital)
You also get a digital copy of my book “Easy Plant Propagation” which is an incredible resources about growing and propagating plants. It has a month by month guide of what you should be doing as well as a plant by plant guide. Since this is digital you can be reading it in minutes after you order.
(read it tonight!)
The Secret Directory of Wholesale Suppliers
You get a digital copy of my “Secret Directory of Wholesale Suppliers”. (that’s where I buy everything I need for my nursery. Rooted cuttings, Japanese Red Maples for about $1.50 each, nursery pots, you name it!
(Digital, you can read it tonight!)
The Inside Secrets of the Rooted Cutting Business
My report “The Inside Secrets of the Rooted Cutting Business” contains a wealth of information including how to sell plants online without leaving home and without having people come to your house.
(Digital, you can read it tonight!)
That’s a ton of stuff for $47.00!
(you only have to sell 73 rooted cuttings to recoup your investment!)
One Year Money Back Guarantee!
You Must Be Absolutely, Positively Satisfied or Your
Money Will Be Refunded. No Questions Asked!
I’m serious about the money back guarantee. I know you’re skeptical, and that’s perfectly normal. You don’t know me from Bugs Bunny, and I don’t blame you for not trusting me. But I can assure you that if for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied all you have to do is ask for a refund. I’m not going to make you jump through a bunch of hoops to get your money back. If you’re not happy you’ll get a refund, it’s as simple as that! I promise!