The Golden Curls Weeping Willow

Click Here for Your Free Copy

Comments

1. Robin says

Mike, I was at my son’s wedding last June 2010 (Oceanside, CA) and in the table decorations there were pieces of this tree, I thought it was pretty interesting so stuck a piece in a water bottle on the way home (Goldendale, WA)It took root and I put it in the ground, it’s made it thru the winter and is doing fine still…..it’ll be interesting if it becomes a tree. I love all you info, now on to Grammaw’s baked beans!!
    thanks,
    Robin DeLucca

2. Terri Shamroukh says

What a beautiful tree! This tutorial on propagating the curly willow couldn’t have been more timely for me. I just took a bunch of cuttings while on vacation on the Mendocino Coast in California. I would love to have one of these trees in my own yard. Thank you very much.

• Linda says

Mike, YOUR TREE IS BEAUTIFUL. HOW OLD IS IT? WE PLANTED A REGULAR WEEPING WILLOW DOWN BY OUR LAKE. WE LIVE IN GEORGIA. I FOUND A SCARLET CURLS WILLOW AND PLANTED IT TODAY. AFTER SEEING YOUR PICTURE I WONDER IF THEY ARE TOO CLOSE. I THINK THEY ARE ABOUT 20-25′ WHAT DO YOU THINK?

3. Dennis James says

I sure wish mine looked that good. Texas heat this year is brutal on my willow. It’s almost bare and I water the heck out of it every evening.

I have a small one that looks like this, but someone told me it was called a corkscrew willow, but looks just like this one. Question seems most willows get nest of worms in them; does this one? and also how close to a drain field can this be planted? Thank you A beautiful tree you have.

August 13, 2011 at 10:08 pm
    Your willow tree is beautiful. When I lived in Northern Indiana, we had a large willow tree to enjoy.

I now live in South Alabama and wonder if a weeping willow tree will grow and thrive in this hot and humid climate.

I await your reply. Thank you.

Carolyn Moseley

• Linda Sparks (Talladega, AL) says

I have lived in central Alabama All my life. Willows of any kind do very well throughout the state. They are some of my favorite trees.

This is just beautiful. I was wondering if you could help me and tell me what trees and plants are best for Forida. i have a large back yard that i have made a garden in and would love to plant trees and such. Also would like to know what plants are good for sun and dought.iI love your video wish i could have one of these trees. They are awesome. Is there any weeping willow that will grow here in Forilda. Thank you
    Carol

Carol, your best bet is to spend a lot of time in Florida garden centers and talk with knowledable people there. I really don’t know your climate that well.

7. Mary says

Hey Mike, thank you, this is wonderful. My friend in Illinois is going to get a baby corkscrew willow for her b-day next year along with a Paulownia (Purple Empress. I purchased a Paulownia 3 years ago, $20 – 6in tall. It is now an astounding 15+ft tall. I am propagating these for my friends with hopes of selling them later. I live in Minnesota, South of the Twin Cities and I hope to see this flower next year.

8. Martha Reed says

I would like to a tree likes this are sold at most plant places. I am in Louisiana.Are the Golden Curls Weeper found here .I am always growing something new.,if I can find it near by .We have ever good soid around our home.

9. susan briscoe says

Thank you for the baked bean recipe….it sounds yummmy.
    And, I love the info on The Golden Curls Weeping Willow. I love your site.

You are such a refreshing person. You give so much info for free! Love ur site! So I’ll ask you another question. Do u have any advice on getting rid of bag worms? I have 6 arborvitae trees that are 20 ft tall & the first 3 are infested with bag worms. They’ve destroyed 2. HELP!!!!

11. Sue Deyo says

Can there be problems from weeping willow roots invading water lines or septic systems? If so, how far away from these systems do they need to be planted?

12. BusterB. says

Willows of any kind/type…mostly…are easy to start using cutting. I have two diffenent types….Hybrids and Yellows. All were started with cuttings. In harder soils….it is really wise to work the soil in the general planting area and add in a potting mix or mulch of some type. IN sandy loam….as in harder soils…feed the tree.

Now here is the kicker with willow trees. Do not plant them anywheres near septic systems and leech field or sewer lines. You will be sorry for planting willows anywheres near any sewage disposal systems. Why? The roots “will” get into the tank/sewer line/leech field. It’s the water.

How close to plant these trees is anyones business…but it seems that no closer than 100 feet is implied. Wise advise.

13. Mary says

Thank you so much Mike! The tree and your work is wonderful!
    I really appreciate your wise gardening counsel and kind letters!
    Thanks again, Sincerely, Mary

14. Jerry L says

I planted a willow stem the size of a straw 3 years ago. Today it stands 7 feet tall, at the base 1 1/2″ dia. Thank you for my input.

15. Dawn says

Hi,

There are twisted willows listed under both Salix babylonica (standard weeping willows) and under Salix matsudana. It appears that we’re talking about the same tree, because the American Horticultural Society refers to Salix matsudana ‘Tortuosa’ as Salix babylonica var.pekinensis ‘Tortuosa’. There are even more named varieties of the above listed, reflecting variables such as size and coloration.

Rooting cuttings is a snap!

Definately agree on the potential root problems anywhere within a mile of water (I’m kidding, but not really!!)

16. Carol says

I want to plant a willow tree in an area that is wet in the spring and I had willow trees in my other house. I cut the branches off and put them in a bucket of water in the barn and when they rooted I planted them. I had about five trees. I live in Ohio and want to plant willow trees again. My daughter has willow trees (she lives in michigan) Can I cut some branches now and plant them? Or should I wait until spring? What would be the best time to do it? Should I put them in the ground or put them in water first? Thank you. I love your site.

17. Laura says

I would like to add this variety of willow to my landscape. I can not find a seller with the correct cross. I can only find either the corkscrew willow or weeping willow. I do in fact want the golden curls weeping willow. Any cuttings for sale, or suggestions on where to buy the species I am looking for? Thank You.

18. Sue says

I bought a Corkscrew Willow from a local privately own green house and the tag said that it will grow to 6′ foot tall. Is this correct ? And do I prune it ?

19. Valerie says

Hi we just bought a house in MD and there is a huge tree in our poststamp size yard and I believe it might be a Corkscew Willow (it is really beautiful!) is it poisonous as our dog was chewing on a fallen branch and has had diarhea and been sick this morning?

20. Anne Fitak says

I planted several 4-6″ cuttings in May (central Michigan)and by October they were 5-6′ tall. I have light loamy soil, but add lots of my own compost. Very east to grow. Now I need suggestions on training it into a tree form. Several of the cuttings have multiple stems close to the ground.