Lavender Twist Weeping Redbud Tree

Last updated : 21 November 2014
Lavender Twist Weeping Redbud Tree

Lavender Twist Weeping Redbud Tree

I love this tree!  -Mike McGroarty

The Lavender Twist Weeping Redbud tree is an awesome specimen that everybody should have in their yard.  The photos you see here are The Lavender Twist that we have in our front yard.   Redbud trees have an interesting way of displaying their blooms.  The flowers appear in early spring before the tree starts to make leaves.  The flowers are tiny and delicate, it’s almost as if they are glued to the branches.

Lavender Twist Weeping Redbud trees bloom really early in the spring and unlike Weeping Cherry trees, the flower are pretty doggone tough.  I’ve seen them go through frost after frost without fazing the blooms at all.  That’s a huge advantage for a tree that blooms early in the spring.

The top photo was taken in early spring when the tree was in full bloom.   The middle photo was taken in the middle of summer when the tree is covered with those round, a little bit heart shaped leaves.  The bottom photo was taken in at the end of January when the tree was completely snow covered.

Lavender Twist Weeping Redbud Tree

Snow covered Lavender Twist Weeping Redbud tree.

Snow covered Lavender Twist Weeping Redbud tree.

Lavender Twist Redbud and other weeping trees covered in snow.

Lavender Twist Redbud and other weeping trees covered in snow.

The second tree from the right in the above photo is the Lavender Twist.  Also in this photo are three different kinds of weeping Japanese maples and the big tree in the background is a Golden Curl Weeping Willow tree.

Where to buy a Lavender Twist Weeping Redbud tree?

Free Plant Propagation System Plans

Get These FREE Plans!

Free Homemade Plant Propagation System Plans

Click Here to Download Now

The Lavender Twist grows nicely in hardiness zones 5 through 9.  Can you grow one in zone 4?  Probably, but you are pushing the zone limit a bit.  If I lived in zone 4 I’d have one in my yard.  I would take that chance.

The ideal place to buy a Lavender Twist would be from a retailer in your local area.  Call around, especially in the early spring, to see if your local garden centers have them or will have any coming in.  You can check at the big box stores, but this is not something that they typically carry.  But you never know for sure.  If you call them on the phone they probably won’t know, you really need to go look.

A local landscape contractor might be able to locate one for you from a wholesale grower but chances are they will only work with you if you hire them to plant the tree.  But that’s not a bad thing.  Writing a check is a lot easier than lugging a tree home, digging a hole, carrying the tree across the yard, then trying to get it in the hole at the right depth, getting straight and staking it.

If you want to order one online you can do that.  The tree you get will likely be smaller, but hopefully the price will affect that.  If you buy a smaller Lavender Twist you will need to stake it and train it into a nice shape.  You have stake it and get it to grow upright first, then once you get it to a height of 6′ or so, start shaping the head to look like the one in these photos.  Lower branches should be removed.

Don’t be afraid to trim your plants!  The more you trim them the happier they are!

Questions or comments?   Post them below and I’ll come back and visit your questions.

Free Hoop House Plans

Get These FREE Plans!

Free Hoop House Plans

Click Here to Download Now

Comments

Gay, you’ll have to find one locally more than likely. They can be pricey, $150 or more. Along with my Backyard Growers we buy them wholesale really cheap for small trees. I think I paid less than $10.00 for some of the ones that I have. I bought several hundred for my nursery at that price. http://freeplants.com/wanted.htm

1. christy waddell says

Very pretty! You will have to find a pic online to pin to Pinterest…can’t pin from your pics, or from facebook.

2. Michael hill says

they are both very cool and i am going to start looking in the nursry as i have the perfect place for either or both depending on cost. but thanks mike your the best

3. Peg says

Mike, it this Lavender Twist hardy in places like centeral MN? I have a spot that is protected and gets sun about 8 hours a day. I have been trying to find something colorful and this tree fills that requirement and looks good when not in bloom.

Peg, if you can find one in your area I’d give it a try. Does really well in zone 5, could probably tolerate zone 4 well enough.

Susan, because Lavender Twist Weeping Redbud is a weeping tree, it will only grow as tall as it has been trained to grow. So pretty much what ever height yours is when you buy it, that’s as tall as it will be. It still should be pruned for shape, if not it will just grow in all different directions, but not in an upward fashion.

• Ernest Fields says

Mike
        Many of these come out of Texas, I have seen Yellow, White and Orange flowering “Redbud” an they are very expensive. Most are standard “Redbud) type.

Louise, my nursery is in Perry, Ohio but at the moment I’m really not selling any plants. Maybe next year. Still trying to put the nursery together.

4. eric says

A long time ago I had a Variegated dogwood tree when I lived in Pennsylvania I received from a local nursery. I really loved this tree. I move to Delaware & can not find anywhere. The leaves were green with white edges & the flowers were white with pink edges… oh how do I get rid of cable grass. This grass takes over everything, grows even on my driveway. Thank you.
    Please help me locate.

Sincerely,
    Eric

Eric, the dogwood you describe is probably Welchi, another is Rainbow Dogwood. Use a non selective herbicide on the grass, but don’t get it on any other plants.

Zulma,

It could be, but plants really are the happiest in the ground. A potted plant needs winter protect and you have to keep them fed.

• wayne says

Hi Mike;
        Just planted a bareroot Lavender Twist about 5 weeks ago.
        No budding yet.It`s alive(green inside).I water well
        a couple times a week. Any way to jumpstart this guy?

Thanks,Wayne

Wayne,

Not really much you can do but wait. Your tree was bare root. I suspect the plant dried out a little while be stored as a bare root tree and the buds were damaged. The tree needs time to figure out what happened, then make new buds. It’s frustrating, but there’s really nothing you can do. Right now fertilizer would surely kill your tree.

Good news is you only one tree. I have 250 in exactly the same state right now. Yeah, it’s frustrating.

Tammy,
      Your little seedlings are almost guaranteed to not be of he weeping variety. But you never know for sure. You’ll know, if they are weeping they’ll just lay on the ground and not grow upright at all.

5. esther says

I brought a 6 gallon lavender twist weeping redbud tree at Los Angeles, California. Half of the tree have buds and then they died and not single leave ever appear. Do they grow well at Los Angeles, in Southern California. I seldom see people have these kind of trees in their garden.

Please advise.

I am thinking of potting this dying one and then buy another one. I scratched the branches, the lower branches still have ” green part” inside, but the top smaller branches have brown inside pulp.

Where is your lavender twist garden? What part of Texas.

Esther,

As long as you still have green tissue below the bark there is hope for the tree. Lavender Twist like all deciduous shrubs needs a dormancy period and needs to rest over the winter, so they may not do well in your zone. I don’t honestly know, but give it a chance.

6. Karen says

I’ve been wanting to get one of these for a long time now, but the price has detered me. Mike, is this something we can add to our backyard nursery? Is it a grafted tree, and if so, is it grafted to Eastern Redbud stock? I would really like to be able to sell some of these.

Joe,
      The Lavender Twist does not know how to grow tall. Left untrained they’re pretty much just grow into a low mound. So in the nurseries they are trained to a height of 6′ or so, then from there they just grow wider and weep more. Shade? Some shade, but they really need some sun.

7. Christel says

I love Redbuds, especially since they are the tree to remember the bombing in OK City. We lived in OK at the time and the building held all my information from immigrating to the US. It hit very close to home.

I try to plant a redbud wherever we live.

Thanks for all the information. We will be moving to Iowa this year and I’ll have to rethink my gardening again. But it will be fun. After we get settled I am planning to buying your plan and subsidizing our income with something I love to do.

Thanks again! Christel Cammack

8. Jerry says

Another Great One of your numerous collection Mike ! A Zone 4 grower may have luck if they used some protection I imagine.. I live in Zone 3b..very close to Zone 4 line..but with our sometimes ‘very cold temps’..then are ever occuring ‘Chinooks’ we see..a very difficult area to try and ‘push it’ so to speak with many varieties ! We can be -20 and within 12 hours..be +10..with 50 – 80MPH SW Winds along with those extremes ! I have many shrubs that have winter die back every year..Hydrangea ‘Annabelle’ does very well..so does any thing that has to be ‘cut back to ground level’ ! Only thing close to your ‘Lavender Twist’ in this area I have seen, is a ‘Weeping Siberian Pea Shrub’.. (yeck !) Never did like them ! Keep the ‘Great Info and Pics’ coming, Mike ! Its ‘almost Spring’ !

• Jerry says

Here is an example of the next few days here in 3b..these temps are in Celcius..
      Today, 10 FebruarySunny. Increasing cloudiness this afternoon. Wind west 20 km/h increasing to 40 gusting to 60 this afternoon. High minus 3. Wind chill minus 39 this morning. (-40c is -40F !)
      Tonight, 30 percent chance of flurries before morning. Wind west 50 km/h gusting to 70. Temperature rising to plus 1(33F) by morning.
      Tuesday, Cloudy with 30 percent chance of flurries in the morning then a mix of sun and cloud. Wind west 50 km/h gusting to 70 diminishing to 30 in the morning then becoming light in the evening. Temperature falling to minus 13 in the morning then rising.
      Wednesday, Cloudy. Low minus 12. High +9.
      Thursday, A mix of sun and cloud. Low minus 3. High plus 4. !
      Very tough on any Trees, Shrubs ! We can have a week of very nice temps, and a lot come out of dormancy..only to drop back to 40 below the next week !

Mike all my plants were doing good, I had forsythias, azalias and other ones until 2 weeks ago. which I planted last fall. Pretty one evening as I checked them two days later they were dead all the way to the roots . what happened. please.
    I live in northeast Georgia.

First of all, you have to be sure that they are all dead. Right now just about every plant we have looks dead, but it’s not. They’ll be fine. You really can’t declare most plants dead during the winter. You have to wait until warm weather to see how they respond to that.

• Yvonne Angus says

Plus, you just had some pretty severe weather for your area, with more coming now. Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water! Wait till all chance of frost is gone, then check to see if it is greening at all; then wait a couple more weeks before deciding it is dead!

10. Bob says

I live in Vermont which has recently been changed from a zone 4 to a zone 5. The weather hasn’t changed, and we often get temperatures of -20 or lower in the winter, but the “Experts” tell us that it is not a zone 5.

The plants don’t believe it. I have friends that tried a Rosebud tree. It only blossomed once before being killed by the winter. I doubt if it is worth the money to push mother nature with this.

11. ruthpappamihiel says

This Weeping Red Bud is absolutely gorgeous, how would they work in the S.E, I do have Red Buds that are doing quiet well here, transplanted from the Piedmont area, but not sure if it could take the heat here.

Thanks for all the info, you are great!!

Ruth,

They do fine all the way into zone 8 for sure. If you have regular redbud there now, the Lavender Twist should be fine. That would be my guess.

12. Joan says

When you trim off the lower branches, I am assuming that you can start them again and gain several trees more from them. True or False.

Joan,

That’s really false. For one the tree is patented and secondly it will not propagate from cuttings. It has to be grafted or budded.

13. CINDY BISCORNER-MEAD says

I LOVE this tree!! I have always loved the Eastern Redbuds, but this one is absolutely gorgeous!!! I am definately going to check these out!!! Thx :)

Hey Mike…even thename of this tree sounds delicious.
    I’m over on the north side of Lake Erie sort of…just nort of Toronto. Would one of thse survive up here?
    Give your donkeys a hug for me.
    Tara

15. Arlette Bradfod says

Hi Mike, Love your e-mails but lose some. My question, Is the book that is pictured here an actual book that I can purchase, if I tried to print all the e-mails you send the printer ink would totally break me. I would be glad to pay whatever your price for the book is. My daughter and I love the Easy Plant Propagation . We are excited about starting our plants. The weather here has really not been to conducive to starting seeds in an unheated greenhouse. Our weather has been abnormally cold with freezing rain, sleet and snow. Keep up the good work with your show. We love it. Arlette Bradford

16. Helen says

Very pretty tree! And a lovely form for all seasons. How old is the Redbud pictured?
    Wonder if anyone has found it in the Seattle-Everett area.

Been enjoying all your emails and info.

17. Martha Blevins says

I think I must have one of those trees. I have the native pink redbud. I also have one ( the darndest thing I’ve seen. ) My neighbor now removed was into landscaping. This tree was nearly 12 ft I guess and , It had been the last one to get picked.. It had taken a beating. Neighbor sad “take the tree do something with it, maybe you can keep it alive. ”

I brought the tree home planted it in a choice, good ground location. Guess what ?? It lived I have cut it back some to rid the damage. but, one side is pure white. The other side is a rosy purple. Starts out hot pink turns purple and then after about a week it sheds. Beautiful specimen. freebie worth a fortune !

18. Patrick Cousins says

Mike, I love your posts and appreciate the knowledge you impart on all of us. I found this to be an interesting page about the origins of the Lavender Twist Redbud. The article mentions grafting but I was going to ask about propagating this tree from cuttings? Are most redbud varieties grafted?

Patrick,

The Lavender Twist redbud was discovered and developed by a friend of mine, Tim Brotzman from right here in Madison, Ohio. This is a patented plant so it’s against the law to propagate it without a license. But that’s not a bad thing, it’s really tricky to propagate and does have to be grafted or budded. I just buy small trees from a wholesale grower, pay the royalty at that time, then I’m free to grow them on and resell them. Eastern Redbuds are actually fairly easy to grow from seed.

19. Fred says

Hey Mike thanks for reminding us about the beauty of the LTWR tree. I will be getting one for my place for sure! And I’m lucky, my local nursery had some last summer, so I’m sure he will have more this summer. Also, I wanted to thank you and Dustin for putting out the new info./course on internet marketing. Can you tell me, will you be going over more info. in this course than you did in your previous course on internet marketing? I assumed probably so since this is more interactive. Thanks again Mike!

20. Fred says

I almost forgot to ask. What kind of tree is the largest one in your snow photo? Is it also a weeping variety? Thanks again!

21. J Finney says

Just a question or two – maybe three
    When do you cut and shape this type of tree? Would a late in the year trimming affect the spring blooms? I also wonder the same thing about my weeping cherry trees and crab apple trees. We live I Ohio and would a winter like the one we have this year be too much?
    Thanks and we appreciate the gardening tips.

J. Lavender Twist is a vigorous grower and really should be pruned at least twice during the growing season. This is a tough plant that can handle cold weather, even a winter like this one. Same with weeping cherries, prune, prune, prune.

22. Edward says

I have found that pruning weeping trees annually ( cutting back to 2 buds on this years growth – using 45 degree cut – after first frost removing any dead wood) thickens up the tree next year and stops it growing too large and out of shape. Not tried these but will do so later this year.

I was reviewing video on air rooting of plants – where can I get the black plastic(?) pods with the rooting medium ( the ones you use electrical ties to hold in place), Please ?

Hi! I live in Houston, Tx. Your pictures are awesome! I was wondering if the lavender twist weeping red bud tree would survive here? It’s just gorgeous!

Debbie,

It really depends on your zone. This is a tree that really needs a dormancy period so it can rest, I’m not sure if you have enough cold weather for the Lavender Twist in Texas.

24. les whitehead says

Thank You very much, I enjoy reading your information and appreciate it very much. I would like to order some of those air layering devices that you demonstrated when they become available if you would be so kind to let me know. Thanks again and keep growing.

25. mary says

I got a small weeping redbud from craigs list/ the landlord was gonna pitch it/the tenant put it on craigs list. I got it right after I had to cut down a mulbery tree that was coming down slowly in pieces. Where I planted the redbud had roots and brick down in the dirt so not very deep and also the site of a previous maple. I wonder if the roots will spread out sideways if they can’t get below or should I transplant in the spring? I read that they don’t like to be transplanted. I really love this little tree. I do have it staked.

Mary,

This is a beautiful tree. I’d move it to a place where it has every chance of thriving. They do not mind being moved, but you have to do it while the plant is dormant, not during the growing season.

26. Dee Smith says

Hi Mike! I just love reading your emails. You must be a funny and good person. How large does a weeping Redbud get? We are getting our first snow right now here in Westport,Wa. Thanks,Dee

27. Kim says

Thanks, Mike. I have a redbud in my yard, but the blooms are short and not full at all. I thought it was due to “aging in”, but its been over 5 years now! Any special soil treatment? Where mine is its a bit sandy, also on a hill. I trimmed it last fall, to help force more blooms. I know they grow in my zone (Providence, RI), since my neighbor up the street has one.

Thanks for your information.
    Kim

Kim,

Go out there right now and do some root pruning. Take a spade and stick it in the ground as deep as possible all around the tree. You have to do this now during the winter when the tree is dormant, not during the growing season. Root pruning really does a lot to stimulate an establish plant that has come to a stand still. Root pruning stimulates new, fibrous root growth which allows the tree to pick up more nutrients.

28. Donna Sullivan says

I have to agree, Mike, that IS a gorgeous tree and the snow-covered pic is beautiful! We don’t see snow like that where I am in North Carolina (usually), not that I’m not gratefuI! I’m partial to weeping trees myself. Love hearing from you!

Hi Mike
    Can this tree be started by cuttings. And at what age would the tree be when it would look good to sell.
    thanks Larry

Larry,

Lavender Twist is a patented plant, therefore it is illegal to propagate it with a license and a license it probably a thousand dollars. But it cannot be grown from cuttings and even grafting it is a bit tricky. Best to do what I do and buy small plants from a licensed grower, grow them on and resell them.

30. Greg Nessa says

Mike, How tall with the Lavender twisted red bud get? Also, so you need to cut the main branch at the top to keep in in the 6 to 8-10 height? Lastly, who wide with this tree get?

Greg,

The lavender twist does not know how to grow tall. All it wants to do is weep over. Most are best if trained to about 7′ then allowed to weep from there. You have to trim them to maintain shape. Wide? Give enough room so it can get 6′ wide.

31. Rick Sheppard says

I have a large old redbud in the yard. can you propogate from clippings.-Just made 7 starting crates as per your email directions.Also have 2 plants i bought and planted last season-EBBINGEI ELEAGNUS-evergreen schrub with silvery green foilage and fragrant white flowers in late summer to fall. avg growth 8’hx8’w- When you go to sell your plants do you have some way to make and put on those plastic tags that identify what it is with a description- I’m new to your garden family and just starting at 70. I think what and how you are teaching is of tremendous importance. i save every one of your e-mails and have made a large 3 ring binder to categorize your information and publications for my reference- thanks rick

Rick,
      Redbuds are difficult to root from cuttings but can be easily grown from seed. Collect the seeds in the fall, remove the wing, soak in water for 24 hours, sow in a flat outside for the winter. When sowing cover with about 1/2″ of soil. Cover the flat with screen to keep the critters from eating the seeds. There are all kinds of options for making plant tags, but at first hand writing with a permanent marker works well enough.

32. donna says

The trees are beautiful, my favorite plant, tho here I don’t really have the
    space for them, I have one, maple, that the people we bought the house
    from had planted. Then it was nothing but a sapling about 6′ tall. Now
    11 yrs later, it is a beautiful, pre-teen that comes to the 2nd fl plus part
    way down our lawn. It was at the edge of my garden. Now that has been
    enlarged to the point that the garden is more then 2/3 out past the tree.
    Make any sense? It is getting more beautiful each yr.
    Keep up the good work Mike. Tho I have your business info I still haven’t
    done anything w/it but have learned alot from what is in it and your blogs.
    I save ec one of those. I may get “inspired” to do something w/it one of
    these days.
    sincerely,

33. Marilyn Swanson says

I’ve always wanted a redbud tree but live in northern wis. Our winter temps are -20 to 20? Now we’ve had below 0 since nov. guess it won’t work for me, right?
    Always enjoy your newsletters and advice. Thanks, Marilyn s

34. Karen says

I have a regular red bud…any chance of trimming it to “kind of” look like a weeping one? Had a lot of seeds from it last year…what about starting one from seed and trying to train it??

Karen,

It’s unlikely that you will get any standard tree to mimmick a weeping tree. No matter what you do all new growth is going to reach for the sky. A weeping variety will not, nor can it. All they know how to do is weep. But you can grow more Redbuds from the seeds that you have.

35. andrew_ysk says

Hii mike,

I bought your propagation book last time,

May i know how can i get ur lavender weeping willow when i am in germany ?

do you think it will survive here in Germany ?

anyway to buy from you from here ? that tree is amazingly beautiful.. i always want the other ornamental tree from you as well.

if possible, pls reply me to my email. i am eagerly awaiting for your reply.
    Truly
    andrew

Andrew,

If you are in a zone that is similar to zones 5 through 8 in the U.S. the Lavender Twist would do fine. I can’t ship to you, but you might find one on Ebay. I’ve seen small ones there for pretty reasonable prices.

36. Tina McLelan says

Love ya Mike ! Hope you had a wonderful birthday !!

Can I grow these in large pots ? I am in NC Zone 7b

They are beautiful.

Tina

37. Dianne says

Mike, this tree is gorgeous! Do you know about how big around it will get? By the way, what in your opinion is the best way to get rid of moles?

Diane, the Lavender Twist should have at least 6′ of space around it. The best way to get rid of moles in your yard is to treat for Japanese beetles. The moles are eating the beetles in the soil. If you get rid of the beetles the moles will leave.

38. Dana Cathcart says

You and Ms Pam have an awesome yard . Really beautiful covered in snow too. We never get snow out here in riverside Ca. , heck we’d be real happy if we could get a substantial rain !

39. Amy says

I live in southeast MS and have had a Lavender Twist Weeping Redbud for several years. It has never bloomed or grown much since i planted it. What do I need to do to get it to bloom? It is receiving a shady morning but gets sun in the afternoon.

40. Nadia says

Hi there,
    I planted a lavender twist last year while it was FULL of flowers. We had a hard winter and now things are sprouting but i only counted about 15 flowers compared to the hundreds last year. Is the tree sick? Is it transplantation shock? It looks dead from far but its not…

41. Joe says

Great video on training the rosebud tree. We bought one last year about 6′ tall and we just love it. Unfortunately last winter severe ice storm (Toronto) snapped the top…clean off but it flowered on the lower branches this year and we are ecstatic. It is now only 4′ tall, what can we do to make it grow taller?

42. Chris says

Hi Mike, I have a Lavender Twist that has some strong shoots coming out of the ground from the roots. They don’t seem to be weeping at all; is it possible that these are from the propagated root stock of a standard Redbud? After losing the top branches of the tree, causing a bad lean to one side, I thought it might be nice to twist the new growth up the trunk and have it fill out at the top to lean it all back straight, but perhaps this isn’t the best suggestion after all. Any ideas?