This deer resistant perennial is an excellent addition to any garden. This perennial is extremely hardy in zones 4 to 8 and loves sun. They start blooming in early summer and bloom right on into fall.
They get 18″ to 24″ tall but what we do is let them flush out in the spring, then cut them back to about 6″ to 9″. What this does is allows them to fill out nicely, become more sturdy, then when they start blooming they hold up much better.
This is a patented plant, that’s what the “PP20782” after the name means. That means that it is against the law to propagate this plants without being a licensed grower for this particular plant and for folks like me and you it’s just not worth trying to become a licensed grower.
So how do I grow it if I’m not allowed to?
I’m not allow to propagate it and of course I don’t. But you and I are allowed to buy small plugs from a licensed grower, pay the very small royalty and we have to buy a plant tag which is really just a really nice tag that helps to sell the plant while at the same time displaying the plant patent information.
I actually buy a lot of things like this to grow and sell in my nursery.
- The plugs are very reasonable priced from the wholesale sources that I buy from. Often less than a dollar each, some might be in the $2.00 range. But I sell them for $5.97 so there’s still plenty of profit and those that come and buy these plants often leave with a full wagon of other things that we grew from cuttings.
- I share all of my wholesale sources in Our Members Area, but I can’t share them here publicly.
- They grow really fast. We pot them up in May and have saleable plants in a matter of weeks. We took these photos in July! The plants you see in the bed above? Those are actually in pots, that’s how much they filled out.
- Growing and selling plants like this actually help me to sell the thousands of plants that we grow as Rooted Cuttings. Most of our cuttings are flowering shrubs and evergreens, so I really like buying in interesting perennials that a lot of other places don’t have.
- People love things that flower all summer!
- Many of these perennials are deer resistant so that’s also a huge draw.
People jump at the chance to buy plants like this, and with a sexy name like Achillea ‘Saucy Seduction’ who could resist?
If growing and selling small plants for profits interests you, see Our Tools of the Trade Page.
Questions or comments? Post them below.